Sunday, July 28, 2013

Cleopatra

Cleopatra VII has always interested me. I find women who have stretched the boundaries of their time to be quite fascinating and inspiring. Last summer, I read Cleopatra A Life by Stacy Schiff. This is a biography of the Queen of Egypt and covers her whole life. The book of course thoroughly covers Cleopatra's relationships with Julius Caesar and Mark Antony, which I found to best the most interesting part of the book. I like the way the book was written it was not boring or drab by any means.
 
The other night I finally watched Cleopatra staring Elizabeth Taylor (you know, the four hour long movie which made Liz Taylor the first female actress to be paid a million dollars for a role). I was a little unsure of how I would feel about the movie, and I was expecting it to be very inaccurate. Overall, I really enjoyed the movie. It was dramatic, but drama is good. The costumes and  locations used in the movie were exquisite, and Liz looked amazing as the Queen of Egypt. I found the movie to be more accurate than I was expecting, but of course some details were left out or changed but that is to be expected. I enjoyed both the biography and the movie version of Cleopatra's story, and both have fueled my interest in her and her place in time and history.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment