Monday, May 25, 2015

Recently Read: A Court of Thorns and Roses

Author: Sarah J. Maas
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy/ Retelling
Status: First in trilogy or series (If you know which one, please let me know!)
Publication Date: 2015
Page Count: 416
Rating: 5/5

Also by Sarah J. Maas:
The Assassin's Blade
Throne of Glass
Crown of Midnight
Heir of Fire



Feyre is providing for her crippled father and two older sisters at the age of nineteen. She teaches herself to hunt after her family's fall from riches to poverty and the death of her mother in a world where fairies and humans both exist but are now separated. The fairies killed and owned the humans for years, and Feyre and the other humans have a deep dislike of them. One day Feyre finds herself at the mercy of a fairy and is forced to live in their world, but soon Feyre discovers there is more to her captor than she thought, and his world and her world are in trouble. 

Of course I was super excited to pick this one up as soon as it came out because I love Maas' Throne of Glass Series and I love Beauty and the Beast which this is a loose retelling of, and of course I loved this book. It was so addicting and had the perfect amount of action, emotion, romance, and suspense. My favorite thing about the  Throne of Glass Series and Maas' writing in general, is how real and raw her characters are, and this book is no exception. I am obviously more attached to  the TOG characters because I have read more about them and know them better, but I think these characters have the potential to be just as important to me. 

Feyre is another strong, kick-ass female character, and although I was a little afraid she would be too similar to Celaena, she was her own character with her own strong voice. I loved the Beauty and the Beast retelling elements in the story and the new twists on the fairy tale. The villain is viscous and so hate-able, and I'm sensing an even more evil and more hate-able villain will appear later in the series. 

I'm not sure how long this series will be, but I do think it has great potential. The world and characters are rich and so intriguing, and I'm not sure where this series will end up. The romance in this one is quite steamy, but not over-the-top. I'm hoping to get more character development out of the love interest in the next book in the series, but I really liked him in this book (although I couldn't help but picture him as the prince from Disney's Beauty and the Beast.) Maas is forever on my auto-buy authors list!

What did you think of this one? Are you as excited as I am for Queen of Shadows

No comments:

Post a Comment