Monday, July 13, 2015

Mini Reviews: Nimona, A Spy in the House, and Grimly & Poe

Title: Nimona
Author: Noelle Stevenson
Genre: Graphic Novel
Page Count: 400
Rating: 4/5

This graphic novel started out as a web comic and follows the adventures of Nimona- as shape-shifting side-kick to a super-villain. 

I loved the art style and humor in this graphic novel. Nimona and the other characters were interesting and funny, and the adventure was so fun. I loved that this was a fantasy graphic novel. That is something that I have never read before. I really enjoyed this graphic novel and I will be looking forward to Stevenson's future works.  


Title: A Spy in the House
Author: Y.S. Lee
Genre: Young Adult Historical Fiction/Mystery
Page Count: 230
Rating: 3/5

Mary is an orphan in Victorian London who has been arrested and sentenced to death for stealing. She is suddenly rescued by the headmistress of an all-girl school. Mary discovers her headmistresses are part of a secret and undercover female spy organization, and Mary is sent on her first case.

This book had so much potential, but it just fell flat for me. The characters were just average and the mystery and plot were average as well. The synopsis gave me high hopes, but they just weren't met. The love interest was rather cute, and one of the best developed characters though. I'm unsure if I will be picking the next books in the series up or not. This was a quick read, that was enjoyable, but nothing spectacular.   

Title: Gris Grimly Illustrates Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Stories
Author: Edgar Allan Poe and Gris Grimly
Genre:Classic/ Illustrated Novel
Page Count: 136
Rating: 4/5

I read Frankenstein illustrated by Grimly last October and loved it! I love Grimly's art and how well it accompanies Gothic and creepy classics! This novel contains four stories by Poe: The Tell-Tale Heart, The System of Dr. Tarr and Professor Feather, The Oblong Box, and The Facts in the Case of M. Vladmer.

I quite forgot just how creepy and messed up Poe's stories tend to be, and the Tell-Tale Heart was the only story I had read previously. Dr. Tarr and Professor Feather was quite weird. I really enjoyed this book and I really enjoy Grimly's art. I will be picking up as many of Grimly's works as possible. I highly recommend checking him out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment