Monday, November 16, 2015

Recently Read: Half the Sky

Author: Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
Genre: Non-fiction/ Women's Studies
Publication Date: 2009
Page Count: 280
Rating: 4/5


Kristof and WuDunn are the first married couple to win the Pulitzer Prize for journalism, and their latest work is an honest and inspiring look at the oppression that women face around the world. They have traveled the world and delivered the horrifying truth about what it means to be a woman around the world. 

I read this book along with Aman: The Story of a Somalian Girl, for my Women's History class and I have enjoyed them both. This is quiet a harrowing and depressing read at times, but the horrifying facts are balanced with stories of such strength and resilience. Women are amazing and so strong, and this book highlights the very best that they are capable of. 

This novel also spent a lot of time discussing what we can do to put women in a better position. It offers many solutions for the problems women face as well as examining the cause of the problems. It's a great resource for organizations that are dedicated to helping women, many of them started and ran by women as well. As you may know, I am going to school to become a teacher, and this novel did a really great job of explaining the importance of educating women and the opportunities that will open up for them and the rest of the world. 

I have really learned a lot about my place in the world this semester and what it means to be privileged and how that manifests itself in my life and the world in general. I have always known that I have had so much to be thankful for in my life, but as I examine things like education, the place of women in the world, and literacy in school this semester, I have not only come to realize my privilege but recognize that I want to use it for good. I'm really eager to look into the organizations listed in this book as they do really great things for women. 

I'm interested in reading some more non-fiction, so leave me your recommendations!    

No comments:

Post a Comment