Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Recently Read: The Raven Boys

Author:Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: Young Adult- Paranormal/Fantasy/Supernatural
Status: First in The Raven Cycle Quartet 
Publication Date: 2012
Page Count: 408
Rating: 5/5


Blue grew up in a house full of physics; she has been around the paranormal and magic her whole life, but she's not a physic herself. One day a group of rich boys from the private school wander into her home for a reading, and Blue gets tangled up in their search for magic and their fate.

I have been meaning to get to this book for ages now, and I'm so glad I finally did! It was just as good as I expected it to be. The characters are fun and developed, and the magic and paranormal elements are a lot of fun. After I finished this book. I actually dreamt about going to buy the sequel, so needless to say I'm eager to pick up the rest of the series.  

One thing I loved about this book was how present the idea of fate was. I am a huge sucker for anything that explores the idea of fate and how the universe organizes itself, and everything in this novel intertwines so perfectly that it's impossible to not believe in fate while you are reading it. The paranormal and other-wordily atmosphere of the novel and the characters goes along perfectly with the idea of fate. I have always tended to believe in the slightly paranormal like energy, tarot cards, psychics (to some degree), but most of all fate.

The characters are really fun. They're a bit, for lack of a better word, expected, they fit into the usual archetypes for YA characters, but I think they have a lot of potential to get more developed and deeper, and even if they aren't ground breaking, they're just plain fun! Gansey is of course impossible to hate, and Adam is too sweet to handle. I loved the cast of characters that lived with Blue and her mother, and I really hope they continue to play a large role in the series. I loved the idea of a house full of powerful women.

This book was a lot of fun, and kept me up too late reading (I love when books do that.) I'm seriously chomping at the bit to get the next two books that are out, and I'm not looking forward to waiting for book four!

If you haven't picked this one up yet, please do. It's fantastic. Also, leave me your recommendations of books that deal with fate. If you like fate too, please check out Marcus Sedgwick- he's one of my favorite authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment