Monday, January 25, 2016

Recently Read: The Accident Season

Author: Moria Fowley-Doyle
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: 2015
Page Count: 280
Rating: 4/5

Add on Goodreads


I'm just going to share the summary from Goodreads because this book is really hard to summarize with no spoilers while still doing it justice.

The accident season has been part of seventeen-year-old Cara's life for as long as she can remember. Towards the end of October, foreshadowed by the deaths of many relatives before them, Cara's family becomes inexplicably accident-prone. They banish knives to locked drawers, cover sharp table edges with padding, switch off electrical items - but injuries follow wherever they go, and the accident season becomes an ever-growing obsession and fear.
But why are they so cursed? And how can they break free?

This book was really good and was not what I was expecting it to be. The writing is really atmospheric and rhythmic, and I loved that it was a full and complete story in 280 pages. This book is a mix of contemporary and magical realism/paranormal that worked really well.Some parts were a bit confusing at times, but that is pretty common with magical realism. Everything was clear and answered at the end of the book and I really like how everything came together in the end. There were a couple of twists in this book, and even though they weren't that surprising, they added to the themes and story development nicely, and I didn't mind the fact that they weren't mind-blowing. 

I was really sucked in by this book; I finished this book in two sittings because I just couldn't put it down. I was a bit creeped out at some points and I was always intrigued to find out what was really happening.  Even though this was so short, I felt like the characters were fully developed and three-dimensional and the story was complete. This would be a great October read because the atmosphere is perfect, plus there is a haunted house. I'm really interested to see what Fowley-Doyle comes out with next, as her writing style is really great, it reminds me a little bit of  Maggie Stiefvater's writing. 

If you liked e. Lockhart's We Are Liars, I think you will like this one too. They both have a magical/ mysterious plot and are really quick and engaging reads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment