Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Feminist Nonfiction Haul (I mean, you can't say you're surprised)

In this post, I talked about how out of control my feminist nonfiction TBR list was, so naturally, I bought some of the books off of it. I thought it was about time I got around to reading some of these books, and the first step to that is having them on hand. I've now got quite a pile on my unread shelves, but I have been really loving reading nonfiction lately. I think nonfiction is easier to read than fiction when I'm super busy because I can go a week without picking up my book and not feel totally lost. Here's a look at the three new nonfiction additions to my immediate TBR.

I've had my eye on this doorstop of a novel about this mother-daughter literary duo for a while now. 650 pages seems about right for these two literary ladies who had such exciting literary and love lives. I am really interested in both authors personally, as well as their works, so I think I will really enjoy this one. I can see this one being the perfect winter read. 

My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem
I actually had this one out from my library as an ebook and read fifty pages before I knew I had to own a copy of this because I was itching to mark and tab every chapter. I loved how insightful Steinem is in this novel, and I am really looking forward to reading more about her and her work. I'm also looking to pick up her essays sometime in the near future. 

Savage Beauty  by Nancy Milford
Yet another doorstop of a biography I have had my eye on for ages. Millay is one of my all-time favorite poets and typing up my Literary Look post on her had me itching to read more about her. I know she was pretty unique for her time and I'm really interested to read more about the tidbits I already know and learn completely new things. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice picks, Mallory! I have a copy of Romantic Outlaws, too, but I'm a little intimidated by the size - I'm going to try and get to it next year as 2018 is the bicentenary of the publication of Frankenstein. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a chunker! That sounds like the perfect time to read it! I might steal your idea!
      Thanks for stopping by Jess!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love Edna St. Vincent Millay's poetry! All these books look interesting-- I just wrote a post about nonfiction books by cool women adventurers. Nonfiction isn't really my cup of tea, but when I do read it, I tend to stick more with travel journals as opposed to biographies. But I should really branch out more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh! Awesome! I'll be checking out your post right now.
      Thanks for stopping by and sharing your post!

      Delete