Wednesday, September 13, 2017

My Feminist Non-Fiction TBR List is Out of Control, Ya'll!

The other day, I was going through my Goodreads TBR shelf, and realized I had a lot of nonfiction on my TBR that I really wanted to get to, upon further inspection, I noticed that most of that nonfiction had feminist themes. Now, this isn't really surprising since I love to read about and study gender and gender issues, but it did remind me of a number of really interesting sounding books I want to get to very soon. So, here's a look at a few of the feminist nonfiction novels on my TBR. Check out my Goodreads to see both my feminist and nonfiction shelves.


Steinem is a feminist icon that I admittedly don't know much about. I will be picking this one up first, as I have an ebook copy from my library, and I'm hoping it will serve as a good introduction to Steinmen. I have spent a lot more time reading about the first wave of feminism, as compared to the second, so I'm interested to read more about the second wave and hear it from someone who was there!  


If you read my most recent Poetry Spotlight on Millay, you'll know she is one of my favorite poets, and she lived a very interesting and unconventional life. She was openly bisexual, had many public affairs during her long-time marriage, and was an activist in the political sphere, all while remaining one of the best and most recognized poets of her time as well as the the twentieth century. I'm really eager to learn more about Millay, and this 600-plus page biography seems perfect for that. 


This one sounds really interesting as it covers the way women in the public eye are viewed and discussed by the general public. It covers a range of women including Britney Spears, Billie Holiday, Hillary Clinton, and more. With the more recent tendencies to examine the sexist language and thought patterns in the media towards women, I think this book will be both interesting and important. 

And of course, leave me some recommendations of feminist nonfiction in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment