Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: My Fall TBR

I'm not sure how much reading I will be getting done this fall as I have just started teaching. I am writing up this post quite far in advance, so I have no idea how much reading current me is doing! Here's some books that I would like to curl up with this fall. You'll notice I crave historical fiction and mysteries in the fall and winter seasons!
Hosted by: The Broke and the Bookish


1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, J.K. Rowling 
I have been working my way through this series, and this is the next in line. I really want to dive into this one and continue with this reread, but the size mixed with my limited reading time is making me hesitant. I might find myself diving into this comfort read in the midst of things anyways.

2. Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor, Stephanie Barron
Fall is the perfect time to read mysteries! I have been wanting to dig into this series where Jane Austen solves mysteries for a while because it sounds so cute! I think fall will be the perfect time to start this series.

3. More than This, Patrick Ness
This book has been calling my name from my shelf for a long time.


 

4. A Tyranny of Petticoats, Jessica Spotswood
I really think I will love this collection, but for whatever reason, I haven't dug into it yet. With a second volume coming out next year, I really want to get into this one!

5. Sleeping Giants, Sylvain Neuvel  
This book is number one on my buy list right now! I've heard that this is a decent start to the series but that the second one is better and I really want to dig in! I've really been craving some quality science fiction lately.

6. The Gentlemen's Guide to Vice and Virtue, Mackenzi Lee
I've been hearing lots of great things about this one, and I love the sound of the premise. I really want to pick this one up and dig in!


7. Dust Tracks on a Road, Zora Neal Hurston
I've been loading up my TBR with feminist nonfiction, and this is one I want to get to very soon!

8. Tipping the Velvet, Sarah Waters 
I loved Water's Fingersmith so I'm eager to read more from her. Her books always have a mysterious element to them, and a great historical atmosphere, which screams fall to me.

9. Other Voices, Other Rooms, Truman Capote 
I've been meaning to read more of Capote's fiction since I have only read his short stories. I think this novel will be perfect for fall as it sounds a bit creepy and strange.



10.  All the Light We Cannot See, Anthony Doer
Another book that has been on my TBR forever and would be perfect for the fall weather! 

13 comments:

  1. Great list, Mallory! Tipping the Velvet would be a great autumn read (and so would The Little Stranger and Affinity if you were in the mood for something spookier) and I thought The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue was a lot of fun. I've owned my copy of A Tyranny of Petticoats for a while now and still haven't read it - I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to get to the rest of Water's works ASAP! Glad to hear you enjoyed The Gentlemen's guide!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I think you've chosen a great list. Sarah Waters is amazing at recreating a world and her characters are fascinating. Truman Capote knows how to tell stories, and all his people are sad and true. I'll be interested in seeing what you think about them all.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/09/books-i-just-might-read-this-fall-if-i.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read short of Capote's short stories, but I haven't read any of his novels; I'm eager to see how they compare.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I was so excited for Tyranny of Petticoats, but now it is just sitting on my TBR shelf. I need to get around to it. Great picks!
    Check out my Top 10


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I bought it right when it came out and then never picked it up. Hoping to soon!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I hope you enjoy these! I mean, it's hard not to enjoy Harry Potter, but Order of the Phoenix can be a little heavy. I'm also interested in reading More Than This. I was on a Patrick Ness kick for a little while this summer and now want to read them all. And I hope you like Sleeping Giants! I honestly picked the first book on a whim and was pretty on the fence about it, but the second book was so great. It's definitely worth a read! (also it goes by fairly quickly because of the format)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read much Ness, but I know everyone loves him so I really want to read more. I think Sleeping Giants will be interesting and smart- hopefully it doesn't disappoint!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Hi! I am "supposed" to read All the Light We Cannot See haha. I was told I must read it. It does look so good, but it's so long! In my busy life these days, long books scare me lol
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! I just started full-time teaching so I don't get to do a lot of reading either. I'm hoping I will get some balance soon!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I hope you enjoy all these! I've been wanting to get to Gentleman's Guide for ages, so of course, I still haven't.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/19/top-ten-tuesday-125/

    ReplyDelete