Monday, September 11, 2017

Recently Reread: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (and thoughts on comfort)

Author: J.K. Rowling
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Publication Date: 2000
Page Count: 734
Rating: 5/5

Add on Goodreads


If you read this post, you will know that I am starting a new endeavor as a student teacher and completing my internship to receive my teaching degree. Because this is a big, scary, and unpredictable experience, I have been feeling nervous lately. So, I decided to pick up one of my favorite comfort reads, Harry Potter. 

I've been rereading this series for the past year or so, picking one up every once and a while, and this was the next in line for my reread. I took this one to the beach with me when I went for a long weekend, and I loved getting back into this world. Goblet of Fire is the novel where the books start to take a dark turn, and the plot really kicks into high gear. I remember reading that one line in the novel (the one where the first death takes place) over and over when I first read this book, because I thought that I had to have read it wrong. I was shocked to read that line, and completely enthralled with this book. That was the first time I really understood the evil that was in this novel, and I think that the ending of this book is one of the best endings in the series.    

One of the reasons I think Harry Potter is such a comfort read for me, is that each time I reread one of the books, I remember reading them for the first time as a young kid. It invokes the joy of being a kid, staying up way past your bedtime, curled in bed, and reading a book that you can't put down. Each time I reread these books, they get funnier, and the genius of Rowling's character development and symbols become more apparent. I love that I loved these novels for the story as a kid, and now as an adult, I love them for the story and the literary elements that they display so well. I find new things in this story every time I read it, and they truly are timeless. 

Of course, after finishing this I was itching to pick up Order of the Phoenix but I decided to wait on it a bit since that is the largest novel in the series. But I see myself picking it up very soon! 

2 comments:

  1. I really, really need to re-read the Potter books - it's been so long since I last read them. I think Goblet of Fire was one of my least favourites growing up, I didn't really care about the tournament, so I'd be interested in seeing what I think of it now. I reacted in a very similar way to you towards the deaths, too! The Harry Potter world felt like such a safe place to be and then suddenly people were being murdered left, right and centre. It certainly stuck in my mind. I hope you enjoy Order of the Phoenix! =)

    ReplyDelete