Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Read in 2014

I read a lot of great books this year, and there's still a couple weeks left in the year to squeeze in some last minute books I wanted to get to. But here's ten of my favorite books I read this year, in no particular order.
Hosted by: The Broke and the Bookish



1. Clockwork Princess, Cassandra Clare
I really enjoyed The Infernal Devices Trilogy by Clare, much more than I enjoyed the Mortal Instruments actually, but the third book in the trilogy is my favorite. I think it is the best conclusion to a series I have read in a long time. Reading the end of this book was the hardest I have cried while reading a book in a long time, but not because it was sad- there was just so much love and feelings going on- I just couldn't keep it in.

2. Throne of Glass, Sarah J. Maas (Books 1-3 and prequel)
I loved all of Maas's books that I read this year, and I'm eager to read more from her. I love the protagonist and the fast moving action.
Throne of Glass Review

3. A Room of One's Own, Virginia Woolf
I loved all the feminist sass that was going on in this essay. Woolf was very elegant but clear about communicating her thoughts on the woman artist.She is one author I hope to read more of very soon.
A Room of One's Own Review



4. The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood
This was by far the scariest book I read this year and the one that has stuck with me the most. Everyone should read this novel- and if you've already read it- read it again!
The Handmaid's Tale Review

5. Midwinterblood, Marcus Sedgwick 
This was perhaps my favorite YA book of the year, and I know I talk about it all the time, but I was really impressed and intrigued abut what this novel said and how it said it. I love how Sedgwick controls time in his novels, this on in particular, and the atmosphere of this novel was a little bit eerie but also irresistible.
Midwinterblood Review

6. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
I just finished this one earlier this month, but I really loved it. I wrote a rather long post about my thoughts on this novel, and I would love if you would check it out and share your thoughts on the novel with me.
Jane Eyre Review



7. Boy Meets Boy, David Levithan
I read my first three Levithan books this year, and enjoyed them all. (He made my TTT list of new to me authors) But this was my favorite book of his I read this year. I loved the characters and themes of this book, and it was laugh out loud funny.
Boy Meets Boy Review

8. Persuasion, Jane Austen
This was my second Austen novel, and I loved it. I really can't wait to read more from her. I also wrote a rather lengthy post that started out as a review for this book but turned into more of a 'Why I Love Jane Austen' post.
Persuasion Review
  
9. Winger, Andrew Smith
I read a couple of Smith's works this year and really love the powerful themes he takes on, and how amazing he is at writing young male narrators. He is definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.
Winger Review

10. Elanor and Park, Rainbow Rowell 
I read this one way back in January, but I remember it was impossible to put down. I loved Rowell's writing and the story. I haven't read anything else by Rowell yet, but I own two of her books so hopefully I will read more from her soon.

What books made your list? What did you think about these books? 

30 comments:

  1. THRONE OF GLASS and ELEANOR & PARK yes yes yesss.

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really liked THE HANDMAID'S TALE by Margaret Atwood! It's shocking and very well-written and I can also recommend it to everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've started Throne of Glass within the last couple of months and now I'm reading Heir of Fire. I'm loving the series! :-) I also really enjoyed Eleanor & Park when I read it a while back! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you start the Throne of Glass series its hard to stop! Eleanor and Park was so sweet!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Great list! I desperately need to read A Room of One's Own, I've been meaning to get my hands on a copy for ages now. I'd also like to read some of David Levithan's solo work, because so far I've only read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares which he wrote with Rachel Cohn. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would really enjoy A Room of One's Own! and I tend to prefer Levithan's solo work to his joint work. I really recommend Boy Meets Boy.
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. WINGER!!! I enjoyed The Haidmaid's tale this year too. I've been trying to read more classics. :) Great list!
    Here's my TTT- http://rachelwritesthings.blogspot.com/2014/12/top-ten-best-books-of-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are great! glad you enjoyed them!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. So far, this is one of my favorite lists! I love classic romances and WINGER was so, so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! that's awesome to hear! I really enjoy classic romances too, way more than modern romances.
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I haven't read any of the books on your list, not my thing, but I always love reading about what others are loving. Thanks for sharing! Here's my Favorite Books of 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In years past, I enjoyed reading both Woolf's novel and Atwood's novel that you mentioned in your post!!

    Here's my TTT for this this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2014/12/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-i-read-in.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both great and I can't wait to read more from both of those ladies.
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Awesome list! I need to get started on Winger, it's sitting in my Kindle waiting on me :)
    Also, I suck so badly at reading the classics. I just get so bored with most of them....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to Winger soon!
      It's just a matter of finding the right classic for you! keep looking, don't give up!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Jane Eyre is my absolute favorite classic! I didn't read Clockwork Princess because I still haven't gotten through Clockwork Prince. Awesome list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed all three books, but Princess was my favorite! Hope you get to it soon.
      I really loved Jane Eyre's voice and independence.
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. The Handmaid's Tale is a great book...I read it over a decade ago and it still resonates with me! Have you read When She Woke by Hillary Jordan? I think you might like it...that's another that's really stayed with me since reading it.

    My TTT is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't but I will check it out for sure! Thanks for the recommendation and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. I haven't read ANY of your books! How is this possible!? I do own about half of them though, I suppose I should have them a priority! And I really do need to read The Handmaid's Tale, that is a book I should have read by now, thanks for reminding me I need to read it!

    WAIT. I did read Jane Eyre! Just not in the last decade ;) In fact, if we are being honest, I probably just skimmed it and BS-ed the paper I had to do for it. Maybe I will give it another chance on my terms. Great list!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so weird! Well I highly recommend all of them! And Yes, give Jane Eyre another chance, it is always such a different experience to read a book on your terms than reading it for school.
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. I just read Eleanor and Park. I LOVED it!! Also loved Handmaid's Tale. That one is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are great books, and are my list of rereads I hope to get to soon!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Such great picks! I love the Woolf, Bronte, and Austen selections. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh...so many good books! The Handmaid's Tale, Eleanor & Park, anything by Virginia Woolf, and Jane Eyre (I loved it in HS) are all on my want-to-read list! Really need to get to those!

    Sue

    2015 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete