Monday, September 8, 2014

Recently Read: Midwinterblood

Author: Marcus Sedgwick
Genre: Young Adult
Year Published: 2013
Page Count: 262
Rating: 5/5

Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick is the Micheal L. Printz award winner for 2013. I had never read a book by Sedgwick, so this was my first experience with his writing.


This book does not contain a synopsis anywhere on the cover or inside. I went into this book with no idea what the plot was, and I recommend that you do the same. The atmosphere of this book is so mysterious, and I think the publishers and authors worked extra hard to keep it that way, so who am I to ruin their hard work. I will tell you, that this book takes place in many different time periods that all come together in the end of the book, I don't want to go into too much detail about this book because I don't want to ruin the mysteriousness for you, so this review may seem brief, but know that I highly recommend this book. 

I LOVED this book. I was so impressed by the writing, the plot, and the way that the plot evolved and unfolded. This book is very unique and is not like any other young adult book that I have read before. As I was reading this, I thought that fans of John Corey Whaley's Where Things Come Back would enjoy this book, because of the unique way that the plot unfolds in both of those books. The atmosphere of this book was so mysterious and beautiful. As soon as I finished this book I had a thousand ideas of how to read this book in a classroom setting and a thousand things I wanted to discuss with others who had read the book.

One thing that I don't like about this book is the cover. The girl in a fancy dress will make male readers hesitant to pick it up, or they will just glance over it in the bookstore or library because they will assume it won't interest them. But this book will appeal to every reader, so don't judge this book by its cover.  

I'm always confident that I will enjoy the Printz award winners and nominee books that I pick up, and I plan to make my way through the list very soon. Marcus Sedgwick's Revolver was a past nominee for the award, and the next book of his that I plan to read. 

Let me know your favorite Printz award winner or nominee! I will be compiling a list of the Printz books I have read and reviewed very soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment