Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten New to Me Authors


I read quite a few new-to-me authors this year, which is really great. Some of these authors I read multiple works from this year, and some of them I have only read one work this year but I am very eager to read more, well I'm eager to read more from all of these authors, but you know what I mean. I've got quite a long list today so let's get started. 
1. Marcus Sedgwick
I really love the themes that Sedgwick works with and the way he plays with and bends time in his novels! I'm really looking forward to reading more of his novels next year. 
I've read: Midwinterblood and Revolver

2. Gris Grimley
I'm so eager to get my hands of Grimley's other works. Particularly his illustrated Poe stories. I love his style and how he brings classic stories to life.
I've read:Frankenstein

3. Andrew Smith
I read two novels by Andrew Smith this year, and really loved both. I love his writing style and the strength of his narrator's voices. His book are perfect for male readers but can also be enjoyed be girls. I'm really eager to read his older books, and his newest book.
I've Read: Winger and Grasshopper Jungle

4. Jenny Han
I read four of Jenny Han's books this year, and I really enjoyed them all. They have such great heart and humor, and are really entertaining and impossible to put down contemporaries.

5. Sarah J. Maas
I'm so glad I discovered Sarah J. Maas this year! I love the Throne of Glass Trilogy and I'm very excited for her new adult fantasy series in 2015. I highly recommend her books, if you haven't picked them up yet. 

6. David Levithan 
I can't believe it took my this long to read David Levithan! I really enjoy his humor and how endearing and powerfully positive his books are. 
I've Read: Boy Meets BoyWill Grayson, Will Grayson and How They Met and Other Stories

7. Margaret Atwood
I need to read more Atwood now! I loved The Handmaid's Tale and I have heard so many great things about her other works. For some reason I was a little intimidated by her and her reputation, but I'm really eager to read more from her next year.
I've Read: The Handmaid's Tale

8. Neil Gaiman
Gaiman is such a hyped up author. I only hear great things about his work, and I got introduced to him this year through The Graveyard Book. I've also read a few of his short stories, and they particularly interest me. I will be reading more Gaiman for sure.
I've Read: The Graveyard Book

9. A.S. King
A.S. King is the Queen of magical realism, which is an element I'm really starting to love. I really loved the novel of hers I read this year, and I need to read more. Plus, her novels are all standalones!

10. Virginia Woolf 
I've owned works by Woolf for a while but hadn't read any until this year. I loved A Room of One's Own and the sassy wit that came along with it. I have a lot of works from Woolf on my TBR list, and I'm excited to dive into her fiction. 

11. Jack Kerouac 
Kerouac's writing is beautiful and the people he writes about eccentric. I'm definitely going to make my way through his other novels in the very near future.  
I've Read: On The Road

Leave me your link below so I can check out your list! 

18 comments:

  1. David Levithan and Jenny Han are two of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Virginia Woolf. I also read a Han novel for the first time this year. I adore Maas and Atwood. Seriously great picks. Thanks for sharing.
    here's mine

    I also have a $30 gift certicate to Amazon giveaway, so check that out if you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really eager to read more Woolf soon.
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I'm also really glad that I discovered Sarah J Maas <3 She's a fabulous author.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! I'm excited for her next releases.
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Great list! Margaret Atwood made my list, too. :) I highly recommend reading Gaiman's American Gods - especially as it's being adapted into a TV show! :D I want to read some of A.S. King's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I didn't know American Gods was being made into a tv show! I really like what I have read of A.S. King so far!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. It's kind of awesome how much I can relate to your TTT. Mine also includes A.S. King and Andrew Smith and I would've added Jenny Han if I hadn't read The Summer Series a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. David Leviathan's best is Every Day, in my opinion. Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was planning to read next actually!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I've only read Sarah J. Maas out of your list but I have to completely agree with you! Her writing style is gorgeous! I can't wait for more Throne of Glass from her and I'll definitely be picking up A Court of Thorns and Roses when it comes out :3

    Here's my Top Ten: https://bookrambles.wordpress.com/2014/12/09/top-ten-new-to-me-authors-i-read-in-2014/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Hopefully the wait for Throne of Glass #4 isn't too long!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Love this list! Loads of authors here I need to read! Marcus Sedgwick is high up on my TBR list aswell as A.S King and especially Jack Kerouac. Love love love Sarah J Maas :)

    Becca @ Lost in Thought
    My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend them all! Especially Sedgwick! I'm so impressed with what I have read from him so far.
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I have to confess I wasn't a fan of The Throne of Glass, though I know there are a lot of people who loved it. I haven't read the subsequent books, though, and I know there are series that get progressively better. Would you say this is one of them?

    Here's my TTT if you'd like to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think each book in the series is better than the last, and you get so attached to the characters!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete