Monday, June 16, 2014

Recently Read: Will Grayson, Will Grayson

I just finished Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. This was the last of John Green's books that I had not read, and my third David Levithan book. I enjoy both author's writing and have large amounts of respect for them, so I knew I would enjoy this book. I really enjoy the ideas these two authors present in their books, as well as the way they present them. I never feel like I am reading a book for teenagers when I read their books, instead I just feel that I am reading a book with heart and high levels of thought.


This book is about Will Grayson, and Will Grayson. Both boys lead separate lives until their paths cross accidentally in Chicago, and their lives continue to cross from there. John Green writes from the prespective of one Will and David Levithan writes from the perspective of the other Will. 

This book has a cast of memorable characters and Tiny, Will Grayson #1's enormous and enormously gay best friend, steals the show. (Quite literally as there is a musical involved) This book was laugh out loud funny and quite touching as well. As always with Green and Levithan's books, this book makes great and thought provoking comments on the ideas of friendship, self-identity, and self-acceptance.Tiny and Will have a great friendship, which is cemented in this book. I enjoyed that romance was a smaller part of this book to the ideas of self-identity and friendship. It is also quite refreshing to read about a young gay character who is proud of who they are, and doesn't even give the idea that they are different a second thought. Because they aren't different and when this idea is presented in books along with characters who are fully accepting of themselves and refuse to see their sexuality as something they should ever struggle to hide or find acceptance from others about, this idea of there being two groups of people, homosexuals and heterosexuals, with start to dissipate. Levithan's characters meet this persona in many of his books and it is one of the reasons I enjoy them as much as I do. 

This book was a quick read and I picked it up because I didn't know what I was in the mood to read, but I knew this would be a pick that I was sure to enjoy. Please read this book, and check out John Green and David Levithan's other books as well. Specifically:

and 
  
Also, has anyone heard any news on when we can expect the next new John Green book?

No comments:

Post a Comment