Thursday, June 26, 2014

Recently Read and Watched: Bridget Jones's Diary

Author: Helen Fielding
Genre: Adult Fiction
Year Published: 1996
Status: First in series, three books released
Page Count: 271
Rating: 5/5

I read Bridget Jones's Diary by Helene Fielding recently and loved it. I had never seen the movie, but I knew the book was a loose retelling of Pride and Prejudice. I have also watched the movie since finishing the book and am here to share my thoughts on both.

 

The Book 
I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the diary format, and the way it allowed the reader to really get to know Bridget's character. Bridget is a thirty-something single girl living in London who is under constant pressure from everyone to get married. She has a lovable group of friends, and a few romantic prospects. This book was so funny, the last scene of the book that takes place at Christmas had me laughing out loud. Bridget is so real and endearing. This book reminded me of Sex and the City which is one of my favorite shows. Both are full of funny, strong-willed women.

I liked the connection to P&P. I thought Bridget's mother was just as annoying and over-the-top as Mrs. Darcy. And the gentlemen lined up greatly as well. I don't want to say too much about the men and give it away, but if you are familiar with P&P it will be easy for you to place everyone with their parallel character.

Bridget is a great woman character, and she really is relateable. This book would make a great summer read. I am planing of picking up the sequel, Bridget Jones the Edge of Reason after I finish the book I am currently reading, and then I'm sure I will pick up the third book, which is a more recent release soon after.


The Film 
I had high expectations for this film because while reading the book I could so easily see it as a funny movie. The film is an entirely different story than the book! A few major similarities exist, but everything was in a different order, and the ending was completely different than the book. I was disappointed about the changed ending because I was looking forward to seeing that scene. With that said, I still enjoyed the movie. I thought the casting for the main characters was great. Collin Firth and Hugh Grant were perfect as Mark Darcy and Daniel Cleaver, and Renee Zellweger was a great Bridget. I would have liked to see Tom play a bigger part in the movie because he was quite funny in the book.

If you have seen this movie you should read the book, they are way different but both enjoyable. If you liked the tone and humor of the movie, you will enjoy the book as well. Also, reading the book and being able to picture Collin Firth as Mark Darcy is a plus! I plan on watching the second film after I read the second book.

What's your thoughts on this book-to-movie adaptation?

No comments:

Post a Comment