Saturday, June 28, 2014

Recently Read: To All The Boys I've Loved Before

Author: Jenny Han
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Year Published: 2014
Status: Dualology, only book released
Page Count: 283
Rating: 4/5

I read To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han from my top ten books on my summer tbr list. I picked this one up on my Nook for $2.99, I was super excited to see this book in the bargain section. This was my first Jenny Han book, though I have heard good things about her other books too. The is the first book in a dualology, which I'm excited about. I thought the ending was good enough to be the end of the story, but I love that this book has a sequel.


This book is about Lara Jean who is the middle sister. Her older sister Margret is about to go to Scotland for college, and is dating the boy next door, who Lara Jean happens to have been in love with for many years. Her younger sister Kitty is nine and the baby of the family. Lara Jean has wrote letters to every boy she has been in love with over the years and stored them in a hat box, until one day the letters get sent out and Lara Jean finds herself dealing with the aftermath.

At first, Lara Jean's voice sounded really young. She is a Junior in high school in the book but for some reason she sounded so much younger to me and it was a little annoying until I got used to it. It could be because I read this after Bridget Jones's Diary which is narrated by a thirty-something woman, which could have made the teenage voice seem young. But after I got used to the voice I couldn't put this book down! It was funny and adorable. I was laughing at some of the situations Lara Jean got herself into and the dialogue was great.

This book has put me in the mood for YA contemporary, which is a genre that I usually don't buy, so I would love some suggestions.

This is a great summer read, and I'm excited for the sequel, Ps. I Still Love You which is set to release in 2015. I am also looking forward to checking out Han's other books, such as The Summer I Turned Pretty Trilogy and Burn for Burn which she co-wrote.

2 comments:

  1. If you're looking for some YA contemporary, I highly recommend OCD, The Dude, and Me by Lauren Roedy Vaughn (I'm actually giving away a signed copy on my blog), Love and Other Perishable Items by Lauren Buzo, and Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the recommendations!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete