Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Recently Read: Cruel Beauty

I finished Cruel Beauty by Rosamond Hodge from my June library TBR list. I am really loving the gorgeous cover for this book!



This book is a retelling of the classic fairy tale, Beauty and the Beast. This is my favorite fairy tale, so I was a little hesitant to read a retelling. (And don't even get me started on the love I have for Belle as a heroine in the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast.) This story is about Nyx, who has been raised all her life with the knowledge that her destiny was to marry and then destroy the controller of demons that have been attacking her world. This destiny was brought upon her by a deal with the demon controller that her father made before she was born.

This book is a little bit strange, but then it is a fairy tale and they are always strange. Because this book is so short, about 210 pages, some pieces of the world are not fully expanded upon, but you are always given enough information to understand what is happening. This book blends fairy tale elements with Greek mythology which at first I wasn't so sure if I liked it, but it turned out to be interesting and well done. This novel had a very strong fairy tale atmosphere. I'm not sure how I feel about the end, I think it was a little rushed, but nevertheless I enjoyed this book and it has inspired me to pick up more fairy tale retellings.

I enjoyed discovering the parallels between this book and the original fairy tale, and would recommend this book to those who enjoy retellings, or those who wish to get into retellings. This is a stand alone novel which is also great.  

What's your favorite retelling?

No comments:

Post a Comment