Saturday, December 27, 2014

Stacking the Shelves and What Happened This Week: Happy Holidays

What I Bought and Received:
Graphic Novels
 

Fahrenheit 451 Graphic Novel, Tim Hamilton
The Beats, Harvey Pekar, Ed Piskor, Paul Buhle-- Graphic novel that gives a short history of a few of the most prominent members of the Beatnik Movement

Classics
 

Ethan Frome, Edith Wharton-- I love this book and this beautiful Penguin Deluxe edition I received for Christmas!
Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams, Sylvia Plath-- So excited to read more of Plath's prose. I love her work.

 

Murder on the Orient Express, And Then There Were None, and The Body in the Library, Agatha Christie-- Can't wait to read more of Christie. I've read one of her mysteries and really enjoyed it. I'm excited to get to some of her more well known tittles.

 






A Moveable Feast, Ernest Hemingway-- Not crazy about Hemingway as a person, but can't deny his talent for writing, especially short stories. This one is about his experience in Paris in the 20's as a part of the Lost Generation,which I'm really interested in.
Frankenstein, Mary Shelley-- I have been wanting to pick this one for a while, but couldn't decide on an edition. I finally decided to go with this leather bound Barnes and Noble edition; I just love that spine.
Young Adult-- Should I Give This a Go?

The Disenchantments, Nina Lacour-- I picked this up really cheap, and was just planning to save it for my future classroom, but then I thought maybe I would want to read it. Have you read it? Did you like it? Let me know!

What Happened This Week:
Monday-- I started the week off with my 2014 End of the Year Book Survey. I loved writing this post. 
Wednesday-- I shared my thoughts about rereading one of my all-time favorite books The Rules Of Civility.
Thursday-- Merry Christmas! I took the day off from posting. 
Friday-- I wrapped up my completion of my 2014 Classics and Rereads List. 

Stacking the Shelves Hosted by: Tynga's Reviews 
Sunday Post Hosted by: Caffeinated Book Reviewer

Happy Holidays!

22 comments:

  1. The Beats looks AWESOME! I really need to find that from Amazon and add it to my wishlist :)
    I hope you had happy holidays and that you enjoy all of these wonderful books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look really interesting, and it's a very unique concept.
      Happy Holidays to you too, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love Agatha Christie and of all her titles that I've read so far And Then There Were None is my favourite. Hope you enjoy all 3 of your new ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one I'm most excited to read!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Murder on the Orient Express look like great book to read. I would be one I would love to read. May one day get out of the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for it, you should totally check it out from the library!
      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. I am always fascinated by the Beat movement (they came just before MY time in the "hippie" movement, LOL); and I also enjoyed A Moveable Feast. Love the cover on your copy.

    Now I am curious about The Disenchantments...I'll be watching to see what you think of it.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that movement too- glad to hear you enjoyed A Moveable Feast, I've heard lots of great things about it. My copy came from the Book Depository.
      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  5. You've picked three great Christie novels. And what a fabulous cover for Frankenstein! I keep eying the B&N leatherbound collection covetously... Happy New Year and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy with that edition of Frankenstein! I'm very excited for the Christie novels, I'm hoping to start them right away.
      thanks for stopping by, and Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  6. So many great books! I love Christie and you got some great ones. I really need to reread A Moveable Feast. I read it in college but was so distracted I don't think I really got it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard lots of great things about these particular Christie's so I'm excited for them.
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I keep telling myself I am going to read Agatha Christie and so this coming year I am determined. I signed up for a cloak and dagger challenge and her books will fit with that so that is my plan..lol. :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think her books are fun and fast reads. Hope you enjoy!
      thanks for stopping by, and Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. The Ethan Frome Cover is REALLY interesting! I could be so intrigued that I will take a look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should give it a go! It's one of my favorite novels of all time.
      The Penguin Deluxe Editions are gorgeous!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Huh. Haven't heard of a few of them, but I've heard so many great things about The Disentchantments.

    Enjoy the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to give it a go sometime.
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. The Disenchantments looks amazing :) Nice haul BTW. Happy New Year babe ♥

    WeeklyWrap@EverythingNyze

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. I am trying to find a graphic novel to read for Book Riot's Read Harder challenge. I am so out of my element because I never read them. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's lots of interesting ones out there. Good luck with your challenge!
      thanks for stopping by

      Delete