Monday, December 8, 2014

Why I Still Love the Hunger Games

I've been doing a lot of thinking about The Hunger Games Trilogy lately. I re-watched the first movie on t.v. while doing homework the other day, and then I saw Mockingjay Part 1 over the weekend. I thought I would share some of my thoughts on this trilogy in general and the new movie. I read this trilogy while I was in High School, I read all three books in four days. I read Mockingjay in one sitting and I didn't move from my bed until I finished it.


Why I Love The Hunger Games:
Katniss is an amazing protagonist. She is brave, bad-ass, independent, caring, fierce, strong, loyal, and every other positive adjective you can think of. She always follows her heart and thinks of others first. She is such a strong female character and this book should be placed in the hands of every young girl; she is only a teenager but she inspires and leads a revolution! The fact that a young woman can be that important, active, and powerful is something that every young girl should see. I also love the fact that Katniss is always saving Peta's butt. She is the one doing the saving, she doesn't need anyone to save her.

I know a lot of people who have never read the books complain about the violence, but it is an absolutely necessary part of the book. Look at history, should we leave out WWII from history lessons because of the violence? Absolutely not- what came out of that violence and horror is more powerful and more moving than the violence itself, and that is why the violence must be left in. Out of the violence of this book comes hope and change. 

Hope is such an important part of this novel and it is so abundant, even more so than the violence. The hope overshadows and defeats the violence. Katniss gives an entire country hope, but Cinna gives her hope, and Katniss gives Haymitch hope. These little acts of hope start adding up to become a revolution. This book proves the power and necessity of hope and illustrates what humanity is able to endure and overcome with the power of hope. In the first movie President Snow says this about hope, "Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear. A little hope is effective. A lot of hope is dangerous. A spark is fine, as long as it's contained." I think that quote is so poignant to understanding how Panem got to be the way it is and how the revolution started.  

Every character in the first novel serves a purpose, and they do it beautifully. Seneca Crane shows the reader that no one is safe in a world with no democracy or compassion. Effie shows us that people can change and shouldn't be judged by where they come from. Gale represents sacrifice and unconditional love. Peeta represents gentle and affectionate love. Haymitch and Cinna illustrate the power of faith and being in someone's corner. Etc.  

These books comment on so many aspects of our world, Not only do they comment on violence and political issues, but they also comment on extravagance, entertainment. and oppression.

The films capture all of these aspects of the novel so well. To watch one of these movies is so emotionally exhausting but in the best way. The power of Katniss as a person and a symbol really comes through in the movies. Jenifer Lawrence is the perfect Katniss and I was so impressed with her in Mockingjay Part 1. Her emotional range was brilliant and I had tears in my eyes for most of the movie. When she made the first Mockingjay commercial in district eight was such a powerful moment. Even though I knew what was going to happen, well roughly knew it has been a really long time since I've read the book, I was on the edge of my seat for majority of the movie because of the way the suspense was built. I really love all of these movies and think they are great adaptations. To me, one of the most important aspects of an adaptation is that it communicates the tone and themes of the original book to the movie audience, and these movies definitely do that.       

This post turned out to be longer, and less organized than I originally planned, but once I started typing the thoughts just kept coming, What do you think? Are you still loving this series? What about the movies?  

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you! Katniss was an amazing independent protagonist, and she did not rely on other people to help her accomplish great things. I liked the first two books better than the movies, but I thought that Mockingjay Part 1, was easier to follow then the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eager to see how Part Two will handle the end of the third book because I found that to be confusing.
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete