Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Recently Read: The Gigantic Beard That was Evil

Author: Stephen Collins
Genre: Graphic Novel
Status: Standalone
Publication Date: 2013
Page Count: 240
Rating: 3/5


Dave lives on the island of Here. Where everything is perfect and orderly, and the only thing to fear is the Sea and what lays on the other side of the Sea: There. Everyone in Here sports the same orderly, and beard-less look, until one day Dave's single facial hair grows into a gigantic beard that just won't stop growing and the orderly and beard-free Here is never the same. 

This book was a super quick read, perfect for reading in one sitting. The art is all done in black and white and is visually stunning.

I must admit I'm not the biggest fan of graphic novels. I love the idea of them and I love them as an art form, but I usually feel that I would love whatever graphic novel I'm reading more if the story were told in regular novel form. But that's not the case with this one; this story was perfect for a graphic novel format. I really liked the message behind this story; the fear of the unknown and what people can't understand, and I thought the art was perfect for the story. The words have an almost Dr. Seuss feel to them sometimes and the pictures were often incorporated right into the text- meaning the words on items in the pictures were part of the sentence. 
I really recommend checking this book out. It's very unique and is a great experience to read. It's a very beautiful book that is truly thought provoking. 


2 comments:

  1. I've heard some great things about this book. :) I'd love to try and read it this year, it's just been so expensive whenever I've come across it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get my graphic novels from the library for that very reason! I never feel attached enough to them to go and buy them afterwards either.
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete