Sunday, August 11, 2013

Recently Read: A Study in Scarlet

I read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's A Study in Scarlet in two sittings. My mom and I have a mutual love of all things Sherlock Holmes especially in print and film. This was quite a quick read, which was welcome after finishing Shadow of Night which I reviewed here. This is one of the longer Sherlock stories, coming in at 120 pages in my version of the book.

 
This is the first appearance for Holmes and his companion Dr. Watson. I enjoyed reading this story, even though I already knew the premise of it from watching t.v. adaptations of the story. I plan to read many more Holmes stories once school is back in session and I find myself with less time to devote to reading for pleasure.
 
Sherlock Holmes is one of my all time favorite literary personalities. There is so much more to him then meets the eye, and some much more than what he wants people to see. The BBC series titled Sherlock is on constant repeat in my house, and I love every single episode. New episodes come out in November, and as you can imagine I am thoroughly excited. If you are looking for a more traditional rendition of the Holmes stories, I would suggest The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes staring Jeremy Brett as Sherlock (although I prefer to watch Benedict Cumberbatch solve mysteries, and if you know who he is, you will know why.)   
 
Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock
 

I recommend this story, as well as all the other stories to everyone. If you like mysteries, these will not disappoint. If you are new to mysteries, this is a brilliant place to start.
 
On a side note, Andrew Lane has written a young adult series about a teenage Holmes getting his start on solving mysteries. I have read two out of the three books that are out in the series, and a fourth is set to release soon. This is a great series for lovers of Sherlock of all ages. The books offer some additional insight into the making of Sherlock's personality and offers reasons to explain why he is the way he is. The first book in the series is called Death Cloud.
 
      
 

No comments:

Post a Comment