Thursday, August 29, 2013

Recently Read: The Luxe

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen is set in Manhattan in the year 1899. The story follows Elizabeth Holland, a young, rich, beautiful teenager who is at the top of the social ladder and the talk of the gossip news papers, and the others teenagers around her. Among them are her younger sister Diana, who is not as concerned with being seen as a proper lady as she should be, Penelope, Elizabeth's frenemiey, Henry, the boy every girl wants, and Lina, Elizabeth's maid. This is book one in a series which currently has four books out.


 
If I had to sum up this book in one sentence I would say, "Everyone is in love with the wrong person." It is comparable to the Gossip Girl series, but the time and setting makes it new and interesting. This was a quick read for me, and half way through I order the other novels in the series from a used book site because I knew I would enjoy reading the rest of them. I have been working my way through the seasons of Sex and the City in order lately, which may have inspired me to read this series. Sometimes something light, and entertaining is exactly what you need.
 
Anna Godberson also has a series out that is set in 1929 of which the first book is called Bright Young Things which I purchased recently along with The Luxe. I plan to read that series in the future as well and will share my thoughts once I have read it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment