Saturday, May 10, 2014

Recently Read: Where Things Come Back

I recently finished Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley. 


This book is about the residents of a small Arkansas town named Lily, specifically Cullen Witter who is seventeen years old. During one summer, someone claims to have seen a species of woodpecker in Lily that has been extinct for many years, and Cullen's little brother disappears.

This book evolved beautifully. The plot is both simple and extremely intricate, the writing style could be explained the same way too. Cullen's understanding of the world expands greatly in this book, and this book comments on some interesting ideas and themes. I think this book will be different for everyone who reads it, different pieces will  resonate with different people.

I really enjoyed this book and found myself thinking about it when I wasn't reading it. It's not very long, but it manages to make an impact on you. I am interested to check out more of Whaley's work. His second book, Noggin was just released not that long ago, and it has a very interesting premiums.

No comments:

Post a Comment