Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books That Would Create Great Discussion


I'm an English Education major in college, so a lot of my lit classes can feel like a giant book club, which is a good thing. To me, great book club picks have to be able to spark discussion. Here's a list of ten books that I would love to discuss with others who have read them. If you've read any of them, let's talk about them below!
Hosted by:The Broke and the Bookish

 

1. The Virgin Suicides, Jeffery Eugenides- This book begs to be discussed and theorized about and analysed!

2. Midwinterblood, Marcus Sedgwick- I'm kind of in awe over this book, and I would love to discuss it with people in order to form more concrete thoughts about it! I'm rereading it this year, even though I just read it for the first time last year, because I loved it that much. Sedgwick is a really great author.

3. The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath- I just want to gush about this book with other people who love it! It's so great, and there is so much to discuss and it makes such important statements on feminism, gender expectations and mental illness.

 

4. The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger- Holden Caulfield is such a polarizing character; you either love him or you hate him. It would be great to hear from a mix of people who love and hate him and hear the different reasons. P.S. I'm on the love side when it comes to Holden, I feel for the guy!

5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling- So much character development happens in this book! Ahh! So good!

6. The Book Thief, Marcus Zusak- This book is so gorgeous I would love to appreciate it with a group. The language and images are so powerful and so beautiful and heart wrenching.


7. Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury- I'm planning on rereading this one this year and I'm really excited. I would love to read this with a group of people who are passionate about reading and learning! If you haven't read this yet, you should right now!

8. Everybody Sees the Ants, A.S. King- I really liked this book, and would love to read more by A.S. King, it seems like she tackles a lot of big issues in her books, and she tackled bullying in this one very, very well. This book was short, but very powerful.

9. Grasshopper Jungle, Andrew Smith- There is so much going on in this novel, and it deals with so many things, sexuality, recording history, giant bugs, the end of the world, friendship, etc. So much to talk about!


10. Paper Towns, John Green- I really love this novel and will never tire of thinking or talking about how well constructed it is and how powerful the themes are.

Let's discuss these books! What have you read, and what did you think about them? Which books made your list?

15 comments:

  1. Fantastic list. There are some books on here that I really want to read, like The Virgin Suicides and Everybody Sees The Ants. I really enjoyed The Book Thief and The Catcher In The Rye. https://chrissireads.wordpress.com/2015/01/27/top-ten-books-id-encourage-my-imaginary-book-club-to-read/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend both Suicides and Ants! I'm rereading both Catcher and Book Thief this year, and I'm really excited!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh, i've read Paper Towns and loved it. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it even more when I reread it!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I think I'm the only person in the world who didn't like the Book Thief... Death kept spoiling the end for me! Paper Towns on the other hand, I loved :) And of course Harry Potter is always perfect!
    Here's my TTT if you're interested: https://victoriajaynesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/01/27/top-ten-tuesday-8/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well when Death is your narrator, you should already know what's going to happen! Hp is always perfect, I totally agree!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Great list! If this were your book club I'd definitely sign up! The Book Thief's a great choice, and I think there'd be plenty to talk about in Fahrenheit 451, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I would love to talk about those two with a group!
      thanks for stopping by Jess!

      Delete
  5. Grasshopper Jungle is such a good pick. I haven't read it, but I hear like it has a lot to discuss in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is sooo much to discuss. Andrew Smith's book are always so thought provoking and I love his writing. It's so natural and believable.
      Thanks for stopping by Alison!

      Delete
  6. Hope you check them out!
    thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Catcher in the Rye for the first time last year and I did not like him. In my opinion, the book is highly overrated. I haven't read Fahrenheit 451 yet but I hope to soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book is definitely polarizing! F451 is so great! Enjoy!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Ooh, I've been wanting to read a Marcus Sedgwick book for a while, and seeing your recommendation makes me even more determined to make that goal a reality. His books sound so literary and gorgeous, and I cannot wait to experience them. Catcher in the Rye also offers a lot of discussion material - great pick!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT, and sorry for taking a week to return the favor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His books are really great! I want to read more from him this year!
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete