Thursday, January 15, 2015

My Favorite Epigraphs: Part Two

A few months ago I posted My favorite Epigraphs: Part One and here I am again today with part two. I have really been appreciating epigraphs and the thought that authors put into them lately, and I already have a part three planned as well!

Giovanni's Room, James Baldwin
" I am man; I suffered, I was there."
-Walt Whitman  


The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood

"And When Rachel saw that she bare Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister; and said unto Jacob, Give me children or else I shall die.
And Jacob's anger was kindled against Rachel; and he said, Am I in God's stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruits of the womb?
And she said, Behold my maid Bilhah, go unto her; and she shall bear upon my knees, that I may also have children by her."
-Genesis 30:1-3
"In the dessert there is no sign that says, Thou shalt not eat stones."
-Sufi proverb  
  
The End of the Affair Graham Green.
"Man has places in his heart which do not yet exist, and into them enters suffering in order that they may have existence." 
-Leon Bloy 

Tender is the Night, F. Scott Fitzgerald
"Already with thee! tender is the night... But here there is not light,
Save what from heaven is with the breezes blown
Through verdurvous glooms and winding mossy ways."
-Ode to a Nightingale 

This Side of Paradise, F. Scott Fitzgerald 
"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
-Oscar Wilde  

No comments:

Post a Comment