Wednesday, November 5, 2014

How I Got My Mojo Back!

On Friday October 30th, I attended the MCTE (Michigan Council of Teachers of English) Conference. This was my first year attending, and as many of you may know, I am approximately half way done with my degree in Secondary English Education.

At the beginning of this semester I found out I wasn't going to graduate as quickly as I had thought and planned to, and it really crushed my soul (I know that sounds dramatic, but I'm not even kidding.) I was feeling so overwhelmed by everything that was laid out in front of me to complete before I could start to do what I have wanted to do since I was five years old: Teach. I felt like giving up and was going through life like a zombie.

I learned about this conference shortly thereafter from one of my professors and decided to go and check it out.

I'm so glad that I did! It was the perfect change of pace and reminder of why I want to teach English. Being around so many individuals with the same passions and goals as myself was inspiring. Everyone there made me want to be a better teacher, and pushed me to approach teaching from a different angle. Seeing how connected and supportive Michigan English teachers are was so great. Being in a room with thirty people who want to help share the love and joy of reading and writing with kids was amazing. Hearing speeches about how words and reading had changed the life of a retired teacher and librarian was so emotionally moving.

This was just what I needed to reignite the passion for my future career. I had let that passion be smothered by deadlines, paperwork, required classes, and lists. Now, I'm choosing not to focus on those. I'm focusing on learning and staying passionate.

So, if you ever have an opportunity to be surrounded by others who share your passions, please take advantage of it!
And don't let college crush your soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment