Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Recently Watched: Emma


Produced by the BBC and released in 2010
Staring: Romola Garai, Jonny Lee Miller, and Micheal Gambon
Four episodes that are fifty-six minutes each


As you may or may not know, I just finished Emma by Jane Austen and enjoyed it thoroughly. I got the newest BBC mini-series adaptation for Christmas this past year and I been eagerly waiting until I read the novel to watch it, and when I finally started it, I watched it in two sittings because it was so enjoyable. 

I thought the casting was great. Emma looks like a young Reese Witherspoon, and is great as the slightly vain and spoiled Emma, Johnny Lee Miller, who you may know from Elementary, plays Mr. Knightly and I loved him in that role. In fact, I'm starting to think that Mr. Knightly has passed Mr. Darcy for the number one Austen love interest out of the novels I have read so far. Oh and P.S. Dumbledore plays the over-protective and very funny Mr. Woodhouse.  

The humor of the novel came through very well, and the costumes and scenery were beautiful. It's possible that the love between Mr. Knightly and Emma was a little too obvious in the first few episodes, as in the book, both characters have an epiphany moment, but Emma's epiphany moment was well-done I thought. And did I mention that Mr. Knightly is very, very handsome? 

There's something so entertaining and serene about watching Austen adaptations, and I'm always on the look out for great ones, so let me know which ones are your favorite.   

4 comments:

  1. I have not seen this particular adaptation, but the idea of Johnny Lee Miller as Mr. Knightly is great. I am very partial to Mr. Knightly and I think he gets overlooked a lot because people are drawn to Mr. Darcy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Kay! Watching this adaptation made me decide that Mr. Knightly is my favorite Austen love interest that I have read so far. I do recommend checking this one out, it's the only version of Emma I've seen but I really loved it.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I'm really glad to have seen this post! I've been trying to decide which Emma adaptation to watch, and this one seems to be the most popular choice so far. :) I've accepted that I'm probably never going to read all of Austen's novels because I just don't click with her writing style, but I need to read The Jane Austen Book Club - for a book club, ironically! - and I want to watch at least one adaptation of all her novels so I'm familiar with the various storylines. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was really great! It seemed to fly by and I wanted it to be longer! Let me know what you think of it if you do watch it!
      Hope you enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete