Monday, June 22, 2015

Recently Read: Wonder Woman and Ms. Marvel vol 2

Read the reviews for vol 1 of both these graphic novels here.

Ms. Marvel vol 2: Generation Why 
Author: Willow Wilson, Adrian Alphona, and Jacob Wyatt
Genre: Comic/ Graphic Novel
Publication Date: 2014
Rating: 5/5

I really loved the first volume of this series, and I am pleased to say I loved this one just as much. This volume was action packed! The same humor and realness that I loved so much about the first volume was again present, and I'm really excited to see where this series will go!

This volume was extra fun because there was a couple of special guests, and I thought their cameos were such a fun addition to the series. I'm looking forward to volume three, which comes out June 23rd, because Loki will make an appearance.

I really enjoy how this comic focuses on Kamala's real-life and her super hero life, and I love the inclusion of pop-culture terms as a device to make Kamala a real-life, twenty- first century teenager. I also loved the 'empowering the youth' theme that this volume presented. I highly recommend this series; the art is great, the characters and story-line are great, and I think they are only going to get better,



Wonder Woman vol 2: Guts
Author: Brian Azzarello, Cliff Chiang, and Tony Akins
Genre: Comic/ Graphic Novel
Publication Date: 2012
Rating: 4/5


As I mentioned in my review for volume one, before picking this series up, I had very little knowledge about Wonder Woman. The fact that I was not a die-hard Wonder Woman fan means I am probably easier to please when it comes to comics featuring her, but with that being said, I really like this series.

I love the inclusion of Greek mythology in the story-line, and I love seeing Wonder Woman kick some butt. The story-line is easy to follow, and just like the first volume in this series, the transitions between settings and scenes were flawlessly smooth.

I love that this series is so full of action and is such a quick read. I enjoy the art and the dialogue, and I find myself eager to pick up vol 3 when it is released.

I would recommend checking this series out regardless of your experience with Wonder Woman, or comics in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment