Monday, June 8, 2015

Recently Read: Graphic Novel Double Review- Super Ladies

Ms. Marvel vol 1: No Normal 
Author: Wilson Alphona
Status: Volume One in series (vol. 2 already out)
Genre: Comic/Graphic Novel
Publication Date: 2014
Rating: 5/5

I had been hearing and seeing this graphic novel series get so much praise over the last few months, that I had to check it out. I'm not a very experienced comic reader, but I knew I wanted to give this series a go, and I really loved it. So, even if comics aren't usually your thing, or if you are unsure of where to start with the comic world, pick this one up!

I used to read comics as a kid as my dad collected comic books and we would go shopping for them and read them together. Because I was so young, I picked them out based only on the covers, and I was always eager to pick up comic books with female super heroes in them. Now, I still feel that I shop for comic books the same way, I'm craving female superheros in film and comics and this series fulfilled that craving perfectly! In fact, I mentioned it in my post of Ten Book Adaptations I Need, because I think this would make an excellent T.V. show.

This graphic novel was so funny and so true-to-life. I loved Kamala (Ms. Marvel). I loved the way she talked, and the way she was drawn. She looks like a real teenage girl, she speaks like a real teenage girl, and she faces the normal problems of a teenage girl in addition to fighting crime. I was laughing out loud while reading this, and I know I want to pick up the next volume for sure.

These are the kind of comics and graphic novels we need more of!
 

Wonder Woman vol 1: Blood 
Author: Brian Azzarell, Cliff Chiang and Tony Akins
Status: Volume One in series
Genre: Comic/ Graphic Novel
Publication Date: 2012
Rating: 4/5

Before this comic, I knew almost nothing regarding Wonder Woman's back story. I had never read a Wonder Woman comic, and I had heard that the New 52 reboot of her comics were great, so I picked it up from the library. Now, I did some research and read some reviews and it seems like this reboot makes a pretty big change to Diana's origin story. I didn't mind the change (because I didn't even know it was a change) but I can see why some fans would be upset about it.

Anyways, warning aside, I really enjoyed this. I liked the art and the story was action packed and entertaining, and the last issue leaves off on a big cliff-hanger that inspired me to put a hold on the second volume. I loved how smooth the transitions between scenes and setting changes were; the book played out like a T.V. show in my head.

One thing I will say is, I heard that this comic series was a little progressive in the way it drew and represented women, but I would have to disagree with that. Hera spent a lot of time mostly naked, as did the mortal female character Zola, who is introduced to us in her underwear, right before Wonder Woman is introduced to us sleeping naked in her bed. Sigh. Someday women will be properly clothed in comics (Ms. Marvel above does a brilliant job of drawing women with clothes on!)

I'm happy to say that my first dive into the comic world since I was a kid was successful! Leave me your recommendations in the comic book world below!  

2 comments:

  1. I have Ms. Marvel vol 1: No Normal on my TBR and I definitely want to read it but I want to have it in my hands and I don't think it's going to be very easy to find a physical copy here. However, seeing good reviews makes me the more excited to read this graphic novel. I am all about females being the lead role of a story, whether it's a book or film or tv show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Marvel is a great female led story! I love Kamala- she is so funny and I think I'm going to love her even more as the series progresses!
      Hope you find yourself a copy soon!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete