Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books From Before Blogging

I feel like I always talk about the same books here on the blog. I have my frequently mentioned favorites that I always put on lists and what-not, but I have a lot of really great favorites that don't get mentioned very often, if at all, from before I started my blog. This post will be tricky for me to put together since I am away from my bookshelf that holds most of my read books, but we will see how many old favorites I can remember. 

1. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Series by Ann Bradshares
I LOVED this series when I was in early high school. I was so connected and involved with these characters and their journeys. This is an amazing series for young girls to read, and I would love to reread it someday and revisit these amazing characters. This series will always have a very special place in my heart. 

2. Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen
This and the book below, are my favorite Dessen books. I read a lot of contemporary when I was in high school so of course I read all of Dessen's novels. This one was seemed very unique from her other novels, and although it's hard for me to remember the details of the plot, I know I loved it.

3. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen 
This was my introduction to Dessen, which may be why it's one of my favorites. I loved the cast of characters and the male lead was so interesting and appealing to my high school self as he was different from the other male leads that I had read so far. 

4. The Oscar Wilde Murder Mystery Series by Brandon Gyles
Another one of my all-time favorite series that I don't talk about enough. In this series Wilde, and a host of other literary and historical figures, solve mysteries. I love how true to the real Wilde these novels are and how they have compelling mysteries and focus on Wilde's personal life as well. It's no secret that Wilde is #1 in my heart, so I really appreciate this tribute to his personality. 

5. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
This is a really great read about eating disorders, and I loved the narrative style. I've done a lot of thinking about this book since finishing it; it's really stuck with me. 

6. The Paris Wife by Paula McClain 
This is a really great novel about Hemingway's first wife Haldey. I love the 1920's Paris setting and the honest look at Hemingway's difficult personality, to put it nicely. 

7. Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson
This sereis is another really great girl power series. If you like The Sisterhood of the Travleing Pants, you will enjoy this one. I love the strong friendship in this story. 

8. The Boyfriend List by e. Lockhart
This is a really funny contemporary. I really need to read more from Lockhart, as I love the girl power in this novel and the premises of her other novels.  

9. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
I read this one my first year of high school and I've been meaning to reread it ever since. This was the first book I really thought about critically, and it kick started my love of studying literature. This is a really great American classic that I think everyone would love, even if American classics aren't usually your thing.  

10. The Watsons Go to Birmingham- 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis
I read this book for my children's lit class a few years ago and absolutely loved it! It's so funny, it had me laughing out loud, but it also covers such a series topic (racial discrimination) in an amazing way. This book is a really great read for any age, but particularly for younger readers. 

8 comments:

  1. The only one I've read from your list is The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. That was such an interesting idea and I can remember thinking in the beginning - how could one pair of pants fits all these girls? Well, it was magic in a way, of course. I didn't read all the books in the series. Need to go back and do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you go back and read the series, the character growth is amazing. I was so invested in those four girls and rooted for them throughout their whole stories.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I've heard so many good things about Sarah Dessen - I really must read one of her books soon :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the original queen of contemporary!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants IS such a good book - especially for young girls! I am glad my best girlfriend made me read it. I also adore The Watsons Go to Birmingham. My students have read this for the last two years in book club after state testing is over, and this year my (new) creative writing class is currently reading it as an extension of a unit based on the first chapter. I previewed it with the movie trailer and they were all IN LOVE. I thought they did a pretty stellar job with the film adaption. I also put The Paris Wife in my TBR Jar. It's been sitting around for a little while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the film adaptation yet, but I would love too! So glad to hear your students loved it too! The Paris Wife is very enjoyable. I love to hate Hemingway.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I have to check out Peaches. I loved the sisterhood series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are great series! So glad I discovered them as a teen!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete