Monday, June 13, 2016

Recently Read: The Raven King

Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Publication Date: 2016
Page Cont: 432
Rating: 5/5

Add on Goodreads

Also by Maggie Stiefvater:
The Raven Boys Review
The Dream Thieves Review

The first half of this review will be spoiler free.  The second half may contain 
spoilers but will be hidden. I will let you know when this switch happens and make sure to be 
careful while reading comments just in case!

I read Blue Lilly, Lilly Blue and The Raven King back-to-back and I'm sad that I am now finished with this series, but I am pretty satisfied with the ending. I decided not to do a review of book three because I found I didn't have much to say. I found it to be my least favorite of the series. There wasn't a lot of character development or development in the relationships between the characters which I was kinda bummed by, but even though it was my least favorite, it still earned a solid 4/5 because I was sucked in and loved the atmosphere as usual. The characters are what makes this series so great, and I was hoping for some specific developments in book three that didn't happen, but book four was back on track with the character development!

If you haven't started this series yet, please do! It's so addicting and enthralling; just make sure to have all the books on hand so you can marathon! I thought this was a great conclusion. It had a great mix of action and emotion and I already want to reread the series. I think this is a series that will improve upon rereading because there are so many clues and foreshadows worked into the earlier books that I wouldn't have caught the first time. And can we all agree that the real star of this show is Ronan? <3 Gansey who??

Spoilers below: highlight to reveal

OMG finally! I have been waiting for Ronan and Adam to acknowledge their feelings for one another. And shout out to Adam for being attracted to girls and boys and not making an internal crisis about it. He just accepted it without questioning himself and acted on it. I really respected the way that Stievfater built intimacy in Ronan and Adam's scenes in subtle ways. There was no large make-out scene but you felt the intimacy and the spark when they were together. This did wonders to make the romance REAL and not typical YA fiction romance. 

I knew that beloved Gansey was not really going to die, but I was really hoping that the ending woudn't be hokey or a cop-out. I was decently satisfied with how the end went down, but I also feel like it might have better if Gansey actually died or something bigger had happened. I don't know, I would love to reread so I could solidify my thoughts on the ending. I would love to hear yours below, just make sure you mark your spoilers. I also found Henry's role in the novel and the end particularly to be a little random and weird. What did you guys think?


Have you guys read anything else by Stiefvater? I want to read The Scorpio Races for sure, but I have heard mixed things about Shiver and the following books. What did you guys think of them and how do they compare to The Raven Boys? It might be hard to read that series after TRB because from what I can gather, this one is much better and came later in Stievfater's writing career. I love her writing though, so I would be up for reading anything she writes, regardless of plot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment