Monday, November 30, 2015

Recently Read: The Dream Thieves

Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Status: Book two in The Raven Cycle
Genre: Young Adult/ Fantasy/ Paranormal
Publication Date: 2013
Page Count: 437
Rating: 5/5

Add on Goodreads

Also by Maggie Stiefvater
The Raven Boys 


Ronan Kynch revealed a huge secret at the end of book one, just one of the many secrets Ronan is keeping from his friends, his family, and even himself. The search for Gelndower continues as does the danger and the magic.

I loved The Raven Boys and I loved this one just as much, if not maybe a little more even. The characters in this series are fantastic, and they really developed in book two, especially Ronan. I had picked up on the complicated nature of Ronan in book one in regards to a certain topic, (sorry about vagueness, trying to keep it spoiler free!) but I loved how it developed in this book. I love the writing, and the writing seems to be extra beautiful when it is connected with Ronan and his tough exterior.  

This book didn't do a whole lot to move the overarching plot line forward, but I didn't mind because the character development made up for it. I love the paranormal elements in this novel and the house full of physics. Kavinsky was a really interesting and developed character to add to this novel, and I thought his character was perfect for the role. 

One thing I really like about this novel and one thing I think about quite often is how complex the dynamics are between these characters. Each character has a special relationship with the other characters, and the male friendships in this series are so interesting. I LOVE seeing male friendships in books and movies and find them so interesting, especially when they are extremely deep and affectionate, and these relationships fit that bill. I love that there is no fear of loosing "manlyness" for these characters because they love their male friends.  

I'm really looking forward to the next book in this series, and I'm trying to make myself wait until the paperback comes out at the end of December, but I don't know if I can wait that long!   

No comments:

Post a Comment