Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Recently Read: When Dimple Met Rishi

Author: Sandhya Menon
Genre:Young Adult- Contemporary
Page Count: 380
Publication Date: 2017
Rating: 4/5

Add on Goodreads 


Dimple is not interested in getting married. She's interested in college and computer programming, even though her mother would rather see her getting married to the most eligible Indian bachelor. Rishi is a romantic. He's ready to give up his passion for art for a stable engineering career and a family. When Dimple and Rishi's families arrange a meeting for the two in the hopes that it ends in marital bliss, Dimple and Rishi have very different reactions. 

This book was about the cutest thing I have ever read. It was a good ol' fashioned too-cute-to-handle YA contemporary and I loved it! I loved both Dimple and Rishi, and the fact they we get both of their p.o.v.s throughout the story. Rishi is so sweet and optimistic and I loved Dimple's skepticism and drive. Their relationship with one another developed naturally and realistically.

I really appreciated a lot of things about this book. I loved that Dimple and Rishi were so passionate about their interests: coding for Dimple and comic book art for Rishi. They are both unashamedly passionate about their interests and that's something that I love seeing in YA characters in contemporaries. I also loved that Dimple was honest about the challenges facing a woman of color interested in the tech world, and her skepticism to accept her family's and culture's expectations for a woman of her age. 

I also appreciated the way that this novel handled sex, as that is an element about YA contemporaries that usually gets under my skin. I won't give anything away, but I thought this novel displayed a healthy and empowering view of the topic and the decisions surrounding it. 

This book had me laughing out loud and swooning, It was the perfect quick summer romance read. I really felt for both characters by the end of the novel, and this book has definitely made its way to my favorite YA contemporaries list.   

6 comments:

  1. I'm pleased to see you enjoyed this one, Mallory! I saw it on so many lists yesterday that I ended up buying a copy; it was only 99p for the kindle edition so I'm not complaining, and I do love a bit of YA contemporary during the summer. It sounds like a great book, you've got me even more excited to read it. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy! I'll be on the look-out for your review!

      Delete
  2. Glad that you enjoyed it! Also, first time I've heard that there's sex in this book (and that it was represented in a healthy way)! Thanks for sharing. Great review!

    Cass @ Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was very impressed with that aspect of the novel!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I've seen so many positive reviews for this I've added it to my TBR- it sounds awesome. I love how the two MC's have different expectations and have to bridge those differences as they get to know each other. Sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it when you pick it up!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete