Monday, January 15, 2018

TBR Spotlight: Books Set in Africa

In the past year, I have really been loving books set in Africa. This was not a setting that I read a lot of fiction about until I read Paula McLain's Circling the Sun. After reading her beautiful descriptions of the African landscape and being intrigued by the colonial Africa setting, I decided I really wanted to pick up more fiction with an African setting. Here's some of the books set in Africa that are highest on my TBR list.
Book titles link to Goodreads!

I've heard lots of praise for this one. A generational family saga set on multiple contents sounds like something I need in my life. 
I've heard that this Adichie novel is a bit more intense than her other novels, but I really love her writing and want to read all her works. I have only read one, so really all of her works are on this list. I really love all of the different editions of Adichie's novels, so it will take some searching before I decide which edition of this one I want to pick up. 

Another novel with a setting on multiple contents, this has been labeled as Adichie's best work so far. 

I've been wanting to read this one after reading so much about Beryl Markham last year. I have never seen the movie (which I hear is quite different) so I can see a back-to-back marathon in my future. 

I had to stop myself from buying this one in the book store the other day, as it sounds so cool. A magic-school series set in Africa. Yes Please! 

I've heard lots of great things about this one, and it sounds like it has a similar feel to Purple Hibiscus in that it's a character driven family drama. 

Leave me recommendations for your favorite fiction set in Africa so I can expand this list! 

2 comments:

  1. So many of these are on my TBR, too! After reading Stay With Me and Adichie's The Thing Around Your Neck last year (both of which I highly recommend picking up) I've discovered a love for books set in Nigeria, so I'd love to pick more up and read more books set across the entire continent, too. I need to get to Homegoing and Adichie's novels, and Akata Witch is another one that's on my TBR - the new covers are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such a hard time putting back Akata Witch, and I know it will be one of the first books I pick up when I get through some of the books I already own!
      Thanks for stopping by Jess!

      Delete