Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Happy Banned Books Week!

It's national banned books week. If you are not familiar with this event I suggest you check out the American Library Association site here. Last year for one of my writing classes I wrote a paper on why books should not be banned or removed from public libraries and schools and I really discovered a lot of great things during my research. For example, books are still being removed and banned from schools. If a book has been challenged in your town, at the local library or your school report it at ALA.org and they will help you fight the removal of the book. That's awesome! As a future English teacher I believe that reading should be encouraged in all forms, especially in children and teens. Celebrate this week by reading a formally banned book. Here is a list of some of my favorite banned or challenged books. Check here for the lists compiled by the ALA.

Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Harry Potter Series, J.K. Rowling
 Looking for Alaska, John Green
The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath
Deenie, Judy Bloom
 
 
 

By the way, do you think people get the gigantic amount of irony they create when they try to ban Fahrenheit 451?

No comments:

Post a Comment