Thursday, September 5, 2013

Recently Read: The Importance of Being Earnest

I am in the car for about an hour four days a week going to school and back. It frustrates me that those four hours a week are just wasted in driving, so  I decided to use them. I used a free audio book app on my Iphone that is loaded with classic novels and decided to listen to this play by Oscar Wilde. It was a little under three hours, so it took me a little less than three days to finish.

I'm just going to start by saying, I love Oscar Wilde. I love his personality and his complexity. I think he is so wise and so witty. That being said, this was the first play by him I have read. I have read his short stories, some of his poetry and fairytales, and his novel The Picture of Dorian Gray is at the top of my to be read list. My favorite murder mysteries are The Oscar Wilde  Mysteries  series by Gyles Brandeth, where Oscar solves mysteries with a slew of other famous people of the time including, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Bram Stroker, Sarah Bernhardt, and the Pope just to name a few. Anyway... back to the play, I found this to be so witty, entertaining and enjoyable. In true Oscar fashion, it had me laughing out loud in my car on my way to school at 9:00 in the morning, which is not something that happens often. I would love to see a film version of this play, and I plan to start another Wilde play next week.
 
The story centers around two bachelors and the trouble they cause themselves, and each other, while they pursue the women they wish to marry.   


No comments:

Post a Comment