Sunday, March 23, 2014

Recently Read: Bad Girls

I saw Bad Girls by Jane Yolen and Heidi E.Y. Stemple with illustrations by Rebecca Guay at my local book store and was very, very tempted to pick it up but I put it down. Later that week I saw it at my library so I picked it up.
This book tells the story of many different "bad girls" in history. Staring with Delilah in 110 BCE and ending with Virginia Hill in the 1940's. Each woman has a shortened version of their story and a beautiful full page illustration. I really love the illustrations in this book, so much so that I would love to have prints to frame of a few of them. Another cool element of this book is that there is a comic page following each women's story where the authors, who are mother and daughter, discuss how truly "bad" each of these women were. 

This book is aimed at younger readers but I found it a quick and entertaining read, full of girl power. This book includes the story of Cleopatra, Anne Boylen,Catherine the Great, Bonnie Parker, and many others. I would highly recommend checking this book out!    

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! Ill have to read this!



    Lauren
    http://stayathomewifey-lg.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete