Friday, June 13, 2014

Recently Read: Macbeth No Fear Shakespeare Graphic novel

In my Thoughts on Shakespeare post I mentioned wanting to find a form of reading Shakespeare that incorporated visuals with the text in order to marry the modern Shakespeare experience to the original Shakespeare experience. Teaching and reading Shakespeare is a challenge and I was excited to see that No Fear Shakespeare, a sector of Sparknotes.com fully dedicated to Shakespeare's works, had come out with graphic novel adaptations of some of The Bard's plays. I picked up three, Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, and Hamlet. This post is my thoughts on the first of the graphic novels I have read, Macbeth.

The basic plot of Macbeth can be boiled down to this: Macbeth murders someone in order to become king and then continues to murder everyone he comes across.


Thoughts on the graphic novel:
Macbeth is illustrated by Ken Hoshine, each graphic novel in this series is illustrated by a different person which gives each novel a unique feel. The illustrations are black and white, and accompany the play very well. This graphic novel is written in modern English, which is helpful for understanding the plot and reading quickly, but I would love to find a graphic novel that uses the original Shakespearean language, so if you know of any let me know! I have never read the original Macbeth, though I was familiar with the famous lines and the basic plot of the play. One thing about reading Shakespeare in this form is it can be a little difficult to keep up with the characters. In Macbeth there are a lot of men who are fairly similar and can be easily confused. The book does give you a list of characters and their portraits to refer to in the front of the book which I thought was great. I really enjoyed the visual's of this graphic novel and would highly recommend it  in combination with Shakespeare's original work, or for a Shakespeare lover.

Thoughts on Macbeth:
I would have loved to see this play preformed in Elizabethan England! I would love to see how they would have done the scenes with the three witches on stage. Though to be honest I would love to see any Shakespeare piece in Elizabethan England. I find it interesting that the protagonist of this play is essentially the villain and would love to read the original play to read Macbeth's thoughts after he has gone crazy, as well as Lady Macbeth, because she is one crazy lady!
I am seeking out a well done film adaption of this play so let me know if you have any suggestions!

Famous Lines:
Out, damned spot; out, I say. One, two,—why, then ’tis time to do’t.--Lady Macbeth

Something wicked this way comes--Three Witches

Double double toil and trouble--Three Witches

Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.--Macbeth

   

No comments:

Post a Comment