Friday, June 6, 2014

Recently Read: We Were Liars

I finished We Were Liars by e. Lockhart from my June Library TBR. This book has been getting a lot of buzz. Lockhart is of course a well known and respected YA author, and I had previously read The Boyfriend List from her and was eager to get my hands on this book because of all the mixed reviews and mystery surrounding it.

I think this is a book that you should go into without knowing the plot. The plot of the book itself is mysterious and doesn't unfold in a linear pattern and the less information you have on the book the more you will be able to enjoy it. So, if you wish to go into the book entirely blind, just let me say this. I enjoyed this book and found it hard to put down. The writing was beautiful and the suspense was well done. I wasn't completely blown away by it, but I would recommend giving it a try.
If you want a little more information on my thoughts or the plot read on after the picture.


 I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book, but I really enjoyed the writing. The narrator of this story is unstable and if you remember this post you'll know that I really enjoy unstable or unreliable narrators. The characters in this novel reminded me faintly of characters that would be found in an F. Scott Fitzgerald novel; they are extremely rich and heavily flawed. Because the novel was so short, the characters were not as developed as they could have been, but they were not flat by any means.

This novel is an interesting look at how the brain deals with grief and guilt, and the unstable narrator produces some really vivid sometimes disturbing and sometimes beautiful imagery. If the mixed reviews have been making you put this book off, I say give it a try. It was a quick and engrossing read that I enjoyed, but it is one that I don't think I will be rushing out to purchase a hard copy for myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment