Wednesday, March 7, 2018

February Wrap-Up: T.V, Movies, Books, and More

Life
February has been busy for me. The long-term substitute job I had lined up started about five weeks earlier than I had expected it too, so I have been a bit scrambled. That also means that my February reading plans did not happen, as I found myself without a lot of reading time. However, I did manage to read and watch a few things this month, that I wanted to tell you about. I'm going to to try to stick to two posts a week during this new teaching job, but we will see what I can get done. 

T.V. and Movies
I've been in the mood for documentaries lately, so I started the month off with Paris is Burning which is a documentary made in 1990 about the Drag Queen scene in Harlem New York. I found this one really interesting, as I didn't know anything about the 90s drag scene. The documentary interviews various frequenters of the club Paris is Burning, and interviews them about their life inside and out of the nightclub. I found it fascinating to see that a lot of the slang that black drag queens had invented is coming back in style, and that they are responsible for a lot of cultural elements that they are not given credit for. This documentary is both series and funny, and I really enjoyed watching it. 

The second documentary I watched this month was Finding Vivian Maier. This one reminded me of Packed in a Trunk, which I loved, as they both centered around an undiscovered woman artist. This was is about a nanny who was a secret street photographer and took hundreds of thousands of photos in her lifetime. I really loved this one as it was a dynamic look at her art and her life, and was so engrossing. The photos Vivian Maier took are absolutely stunning, and you can see some of them on the website dedicated to her art here.  

My mom and I devoured the Queer Eye for a Straight Guy reboot in a matter of two days this month! I LOVE this show! The new fab five is so sweet and funny, and this show has so much heart. It's so much more than a makeover show. It's about human connection and understanding and doesn't shy away from current social topics. This show had me tearing up from emotion and laughter, and I hope there is a million more seasons! 

I really loved Black Panther and I was glad to see that it lived up to the hype! The Afro-futurism setting was super cool; everyone in this movie is so beautiful; and it had more interesting female characters in it than all of the other marvel movies combined. I'm excited to see where this franchise goes, and I'm hoping that Marvel keeps delivering movies like this with complex and diverse characters. 

Books 
 

A Wrinkle in Time- 4/5 stars- This was a first-time read for me, and I really enjoyed it. I'm really looking forward to this movie!
Mary's Monster-5/5 stars- This book was gorgeous! It's an illustrated biography of Mary Shelley and the art is breathtaking. 

 

My Life on the Road-5/5 stars- This was my first read of Steinem's work, and I really loved it. The writing is great and her experiences and knowledge of our society are so vast and intricate. She has really inspired me to concentrate on listening even more than I was before reading this novel.

This Darkness Mine- 3.5/5 stars- This book was a wild ride in true Mindy McGinnis style. This book was addicting and dark and cemented McGinnis' place on my auto-read list.

Posts to Check Out
the way back to my teenage reading years)


Stay tuned for some Women's History Month themed posts in March! 

No comments:

Post a Comment