Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Recently Read: Purple Hibiscus

Author: Chimanda Ngozi Adichie
Genre: Literary Fiction
Page Count: 307
Publication Date: 2005
Rating: 4/5

Add on Goodreads 


Fifteen-year-old Kambili’s world is circumscribed by the high walls and frangipani trees of her family compound. Her wealthy Catholic father, under whose shadow Kambili lives, while generous and politically active in the community, is repressive and fanatically religious at home.

When Nigeria begins to fall apart under a military coup, Kambili’s father sends her and her brother away to stay with their aunt, a University professor, whose house is noisy and full of laughter. There, Kambili and her brother discover a life and love beyond the confines of their father’s authority. The visit will lift the silence from their world and, in time, give rise to devotion and defiance that reveal themselves in profound and unexpected ways. 

This is a book about the promise of freedom; about the blurred lines between childhood and adulthood; between love and hatred, between the old gods and the new. From Goodreads 

 This was my first Adichie novel, and as she has been on my to-read list forever, I thought it would be best to start with her first novel. I'm happy to report that I really enjoyed this novel! I will be getting my hands on more of her works very soon. I also love my anniversary edition published by 4th Estate and am now kicking myself for only ordering two works in these editions rather than all four of the ones they offered. 

I really didn't know what to expect plot-wise with this novel when I started it. I was drawn in by Kambili's narrative voice right away, and then I knew it wasn't about plot so much as it was about Kambili as a character. I loved the setting; I have been really craving books set in Africa, and this one has just added fuel to the fire. Africa provides such a rich setting for novels as the physical landscape is so beautiful, and it is often plagued with political turmoil. 

This was a really powerful coming-of-age story for both Kambili and her brother. I felt so strongly for both of them throughout the novel. I felt rather helpless watching them struggle with their strict and controlling father, but was rooting for them with every fiber of my being. This is a novel of contrasts; Kambili and her brother, Kambili's family and her Aunt's family, her mother and her father, her father and the priest. All of these contrasts reflect each other brilliantly and help to shape Kambili's world and internal journey. 

I wish there had been more on the coup in the novel because I was really interested in the political situation surrounding the characters, but it was never explained or examined in any detail. I also thought the end was a bit rushed, lots of big events happen in the last few pages that left me feeling a bit thrown-off because most of the book is motivated by characters rather than plot, and then a pretty large plot unfolds at the very end. Despite these minor complaints, I really enjoyed this novel and thought it was beautifully written. I want to read everything by Adichie now and will be picking up more of her works in 2018, including her nonfiction.  

Which work of Adichie's should I pick up next? Any recommendations for books set in Africa? I'll be making a TBR list soon!  

2 comments:

  1. Nice review, Mallory! I really want to read one of Adichie's novels this year and, like you, I think I'm going to start with this one because it's her first, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I read her short story collection, The Thing Around Your Neck, last year and really enjoyed it so I'd recommend picking that one up if you haven't already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nice to hear you liked her short stories! I think you will enjoy this novel Jess.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete