Monday, October 21, 2013

Recently Read: The Diviners

Okay, the last two weeks have been crazy full of midterms and school commitments, and wouldn't you know, that's the time I choose to read Libba Bray's just under 600 page book The Diviners! It took me a while to get through, because I didn't have a lot of time to just sit down and read, but I'm here to share my thoughts on it.

Evie, our main character is sent from her small town in Ohio, where she doesn't seem to fit in, to Manhattan to live with her bachelor Uncle Will. There she is introduced to the world of paranormal and magical occurrences through her Uncle's oddities museum that he runs. Evie has a special power, which seemed to only get her in trouble, until she is given an opportunity to use her power to help solve a series of  murders with her uncle.


It took me a little while to get into this book. I felt that the book's size could have been reduced by about a hundred pages, and nothing would have been lost from the plot. I did have high expectations for this book, though which may be why I'm not feeling blown away by it. It was good though, don't get me wrong, and I do recommend it. I found all the characters to be likable and compelling, and there wasn't a character that I didn't enjoy following for their chapter or two. It took a while for everything to come together, and since this is the first book in the series, there are quite a few things that have yet to come together at all. I think the next books will be very good now that all the setting up of the characters is done. I will be reading the next books in this series for sure, and this was a great book to read in October, for it is quite paranormal and creepy. But it is by no means over the top creepy, so haters of creepy books don't worry!

The second book in this series, Lair of Dreams is set to release on April, 14th of next year. Here is a look at the cover. Hopefully they release a cover to go along with the hardcover version of The Diviners because that cover is very nicely done, and I'm not as crazy about the cover for the second book.
If you're looking for more creepy October reads, check out my list here.

2 comments:

  1. These look like interesting titles!
    I read this book recently: http://berrybloomxo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/berryreads-remember-me-sophie-kinsella.html
    and I recommend it, it's great!
    Nice post!
    xoxo

    http://berrybloomxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation! The Diviners was interesting and really different from what I usually read, it was a nice change of pace.

      Delete