Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Age of My Bookshelf

The other day, I decided to look through the classics section of my bookshelf to see if I had a book from every decade of the 20th century. I discovered that I don't; the majority of my classic novels were published before 1900 which really surprised me. I did put together a list of books from the 20th century that I own, or that I would like to own.

1900-1910 Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie 1904 now I know the book was not published until after 1910, but Peter made his first stage appearance in 1904. Since this is my favorite story of all time, I decided I could include him in the before 1910 category. I have spoken of my love for Peter before. I have a hard time explaining it, but every time I read or watch a version of Peter I cry like crazy, not because its sad; I just love it so much. I'm crazy, I know.

1910-1920 A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce 1916 I picked this up at a garage sale this summer but have yet to read it. Although I am looking forward to it since I have not read a James Joyce novel and I know many people find him to be a genius writer.

1920-1930 The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald 1925 I of course own and love this novel. This is the 1920's wrapped up in a 194 page novel.  If you haven't read it, read it now!

1930-1940 The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck 1939 I read this novel for a high school class my senior year, and although it was not my favorite classic novel, I learned to appreciate it. If you find the 1930's particularly interesting, you may enjoy this book. I for one, can not seem to be interested in this time period for some reason. If you are looking to read a Steinbeck novel, I would suggest Of Mice and Men.

1940-1950 A Street Car Named Desire Tennessee Williams 1947 I have not read this, or seen the film version but I am interested in both.   

1950-1960 The Catcher in the Rye J.D. Salinger 1951 I read the whole novel, except the last chapter when the copy I was reading mysteriously disappeared. It is still missing and I have no clue where it went. I have since bought another copy of the book, in hopes that my first copy would turn up shortly after but no luck. I really enjoyed this book, as many others do, and the mysterious disappearance of my copy before I could read the last chapter adds to the appreciation I have for this novel. I am looking forward to reading Salinger's other works.

1960-1970 To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee 1960 This is another novel I read in high school for an English class. The story behind this novel, and the fact that it is Lee's only novel really makes the novel memorable for me. I think Scout is one of the most memorable literary characters ever created and she isn't even thirteen years old.

1970-1980 Tuck Everlasting Natalie Babbitt 1975 I was happy to rediscover this book on my shelf while looking for books from the 70's. I read this book quite a while ago and it is time for a reread. I love this novel. There is something so simple about it, yet it is so meaningful and thought provoking.

1980-1990 The Handmaid's Tale Margaret Atwood 1985 This is another novel I have not read. but have been seeing it everywhere lately and have heard multiple people recommend it. The plot seems so weird and thought provoking to me. I am curious to see how this world works and what the author's message is.

1990-2000 Harry Potter and the Soccer's Stone J.K. Rowling 1998 Finally, we have the start of the Harry Potter series. I can not believe it has been fifteen years since Harry Potter first came out. I also can not believe I was only four when this book was released. I remember in fourth grade on the first day of school my teacher asked us to bring in our favorite book to share with the class. I brought in the second Potter book, and instantly became friends with another girl who also brought it in as her favorite. I am always wishing I could live to see what books that were published during my lifetime would be considered classics by future generations. I know that the Harry Potter serious will live forever and be read and cherished by many generations of children.

No comments:

Post a Comment