Thursday, November 7, 2013

Recently Read: Pride and Prejudice

I just finished Pride and Prejudice (and by just, I mean ten minutes ago). This was my first Austen novel, and I have been wanting to read it for a long time. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the plot, but the heroine of this story is Elizabeth Bennet. The story follows her and her sisters lives while their mother is on the quest to marry them all off.

I quite liked Lizzy as a character. I found her to be sensible and not much of a romantic which contrasted her greatly with her younger sisters. She is head strong and not afraid to voice her opinion which is great to read about today, but was probably even more refreshing and unusual to read about in 1813 when the book was published.

I also liked Mr. Darcy as the romantic figure. Again, he seemed sensible and not an over-the-top romantic. His romantic actions were believable and sweet. This book made me laugh many times. I really liked Mr. Bennet. I would recommend this book to lovers of classic lit as well as those who don't see themselves as classic fans. The language in this book is not at all intimidating and the principals are still very relevant and present in modern literature today.

Now I am off to watch as many film adaptations of this story as I can! The BBC, PBS and 2006  Keira Knightly versions are at the top of my list. Let me know if you have seen any other good adaptations of this novel. I am also excited to read more Austen, specifically Emma. I am also on the look out for great editions of this novel. I have seen some really great ones from Penguin. The clothbound version as well as the Drop Cap are really great looking editions.
 
 
Penguin Clothbound Classic

Penguin Drop Cap Series
 


2 comments:

  1. I would recommend checking out the Youtube series (produced by Hank Green, John Green's brother!) The Lizzie Bennet Diaries! It's a vlog series modern adaption of Pride and Prejudice and it won an Emmy this past year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to watch that, but of course wanted to read the book first. Thanks for the reminder! I love the Green brothers, and I think Hank is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete