Friday, November 1, 2013

The Short and Long of it (but mostly just the short)

Until recently, I never would have considered myself a reader of short stories. I was looking at my book shelf the other day, while attempting to organize it, and discovered I in fact own quite a few short story collections. I have not read all of them. Some I have not even started, some I have only read a few stories here or there, but that is what's so great about short story collections. If you have twenty minutes of spare time and feel like reading, but you don't have enough time to commit to starting a new book, you can read a short story. Here is the list of short story collections I own, and hope to read soon and some that I have read already.

Sherlock Holmes vol.1, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
Fragile Things, Neil Gaiman
Babylon Revisited, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Flappers and Philosophers, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Breakfast at Tiffany's and Other Stories, Truman Capote
The Happy Prince and other Tales, Oscar Wilde
A House of Pomegranates, Oscar Wilde
Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and Other Stories, Oscar Wilde
Nine Stories, J.D. Salingar
Franny and Zooey, J.D. Salingar   

As you can see, I am lacking in the genre of short story collections by modern authors. If you have any recommendations of short story collections for me, let me know. I would love to read more short stories. I am going to do a separate post on my favorite short stories that I have read very soon, be on the lookout for that, I will go more in depth about which books from the list that I have read in that post.



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment