Friday, July 18, 2014

Recently Read: Fighting Ruben Wolfe

Author: Markus Zusak
Genre: Young Adult
Year Published: 2000
Status: Wolfe Brothers #2
Page Count:  219
Rating: 4/5

I had read  The Book Thief and I am the Messenger  by Zusak and enjoyed both of them, so when I saw a copy of Fighting Ruben Wolfe for very cheap at my goodwill, I picked it up.


I actually just learned a few seconds ago that Markus Zusak's first three books are a trilogy about brothers. This is the second in the trilogy about the Wolfe brothers, but obviously these don't have to be read in order because I didn't even know this was part of a trilogy. The first book is The Underdog and the third book is Getting the Girl.

Fighting Ruben Wolfe is narrated by Cameron, who is the youngest sibling in the Wolfe family. Their dad has lost his job do to an injury he acquired at work, so money is tight and the children feel helpless because their parents won't accept any money to help pay the bills. Cameron shares a room with his older brother Ruben and the two are very close. One day Ruben gets in a fight at school, and a man who witnesses the fight offers to sponsor him and Cameron as boxers. The boys accept. 

This book, like all of Zusak's books, is full of heart. Once you read this book, you realize how perfect the title is. What's interesting about this book is, although the book is narrated by Cameron, Ruben is the main focus of the book. This allows the reader something they don't usually get to know about a main character: how other characters view them.   

This book is about family, brothers, finding yourself, and fighting for yourself and those you love. It was such a quick read full of heart and made me smile. I really enjoy Zusak's writing and characters. 

Because this book was so short, I feel that the characters weren't as developed as they could be, but they weren't underdeveloped by any means. I would like to read the other books in this series, as well as anything Zusak puts out in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment