Sunday, January 26, 2014

Recently Read: I am the Messenger

I recently finished I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak. This was my second Zusak book (I read The Book Theif last year and loved it.) I have been using my library website to borrow books on my Nook HD a lot lately, this book is one of them. I highly recommend checking out your library's website if you have an e-reader.


This book centers around Ed Kennedy. He lives in a small shack of a house he is renting by himself, he is a nineteen year old taxi driver who lies about his age to keep his job, and he has a seventeen year old dog named The Doorman. One day while at the bank with his friends, Ed witnesses a man rob a bank. He stops the bank robber, and becomes a local hero. Shortly after his heroic feat, he receives a playing card in the mail, with three addresses on it. Ed tries to figure out who is sending him these messages, while he deliverers his own messages to the people the playing cards point him to.

This book has really great characters. Ed and his friends, but mostly Ed, are so lovable and understandable. All the characters go through a great transformation in this story. The plot is really well thought out and very clever. I have never read a book with a plot similar to this and of course Zusak exquisited it perfectly. I also loved Ed's relationship with his dog. I found that to be funny because of how true to life it was.

This book left me thinking about it for a while after I finished it, and I'm still thinking about it. The longer it has been sitting in my mind, the more I appreciate this book and the ending. I would recommend this book, as well as The Book Thief. Zusak is an excellent author, and I am looking forward to checking out more of his work in the future.  

The Book Thief reveiw   

No comments:

Post a Comment