Monday, December 7, 2015

Recently Read: The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Genre: Classic/Mystery/ Short Story
Publication Date: 1894
Rating: 4/5

Add on Goodreads


The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes was intended by Doyle to be his last collection of Holmes stories, Doyle longed to write other things, but fans only wanted to read his works if they featured Sherlock Holmes, he eventually came to resent his famous character and the fame he received. The Collection includes eleven short stories, and ends with one of the most famous Holmes stories, The Final Problem. where Holmes meets his evil equal Professor Moriarty, 

Is this the best collection of Holmes stories? No. Did I tear up a little bit while listening to the final problem on audiobook while driving? You betcha. It's the beautiful display of loyalty by Dr. Watson that gets me every time. 

I'm not sure how much I have talked about my love of Sherlock Holmes and my obsession with Holmes' and Watson's bromance on the blog, but the love and obsession is very real. I love film and TV adaptations of the stories, and have seen BBC's Sherlock, the movies with Robert Downey Jr., and the TV adaptation with Jeremy Brett more times than I can count; they are what I turn to when I want to watch something familiar. 

I find Sherlock Holmes to be such a fascinating character, as does the rest of the world, that's why he is still being written about constantly to this day. Every time I read a story, or watch an adaptation, I discover new elements of his mysterious and puzzling persona. His relationship with Watson is so improbable, but very real, I admire Watson's loyalty, and I think Sherlock is the adaptation that best conveys their complicated relationship.  

My favorite stories in this selection include: "The Resident Patient," "The Greek Interpreter," (which is the story in which Holmes' older brother Mycroft Holmes is introduced ) and "The Final Problem." 

If you haven't read any Holmes yet, I highly recommend that you do, but start with The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. And if you have never seen any or one of the adaptations I mentioned, you HAVE to watch them. 

If you have any recommendations of books that are twists off of Sherlock Holmes, or stories of Holmes written by modern authors, let me know please! I read and recommend The Sherlockian which is about a Sherlockian scholar and secret(ish) society.      

No comments:

Post a Comment