Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Recently Read: Two Sequels

Sequels are difficult to write about and keep spoiler free, so I thought I would write some quick thoughts on the most recent books I finished which happen to be sequels of two different series. The thoughts are spoiler free for both the first and second books in their series.

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas is the sequel to Throne of Glass which I talked about here. I read this book in two days and could not put it down. I really enjoyed Throne of Glass, and I enjoyed this one just as much if not possibly a little bit more. The characters continue to develop in this book and Celaena continues to kick major butt. This series is going to get really involved and the plot really started to take off in this book. There was a couple of things in this book that I didn't see coming. After reading Throne of Glass I was team Chaol, and after Crown of Midnight I must say I am still firmly team Chaol! The third book in this series Heir of Fire comes out in September of this year and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm also anxious to see the cover since these books all have beautiful covers. I'm saving the bind up of the novellas, The Assassin's Blade to read at a later date between now and the next book release so I will have something to read while I wait for the third book.


 

The next sequel I finished was The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson which is the sequel to The Name of the Star (review here and part of the Shades of London series. This book was rather short, at two hundred and eighteen pages. The mystery took a backseat in this book to the character development, which I was okay with because I find Rory to be extremely likable and funny. Now here comes the cryptic part of the discussion where I attempt to discuss my feelings without giving away any spoilers. Something I have been wanting to happen happens in this book, and then something very bad happens at the end. If you have read it then you know exactly what I mean. I'm still not sure how I feel about the event at the end, I think I will have to see how it plays out in the next book before I can decide if I can accept it or not. The third book is entitled, The Shadow Cabinet and is not set to release until March of 2015. That's a long time to wait!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment