Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Recently Read: The Metamorphosis - Quick Thoughts

Yesterday I went to the library to look for a book I needed for one of my classes, they didn't have it but for some reason I found myself leaving with The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. 


The plot of this book is quite simple, in fact this book is actually a short novel or novella, coming in at about eighty pages. This book is much discussed and referenced so I wanted to experience it for myself. Translated from German, this is the story of Gregor Samsa who one day wakes up to find himself transformed into a giant bug.

After finishing the book I was unsure of my thoughts about it. I found it to be fairly entertaining, but I'm not sure what I feel beyond that. I think this book would be interesting to discuss. To me, the largest theme came from Gregor's family. Gregor looks like a monster but has a kind heart. His family all appear normal, but are monsters inside.

My verdict on this book is that its eh. It was a quick read and sparked some interesting thoughts about alienation and sympathy, but it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. Perhaps the most interesting view of this novel is to put it into the Absurditst Fiction category, which is a very interesting concept to research if you are interested in literature.

Have you read this? What did you think?  

No comments:

Post a Comment